Just a bookcase - needed work on some new skills and techniques (pics)

Mike Heidrick

I needed a bookcase for the growing number of WW books I have consuming my night stands. I also wanted to try out a couple new techniques/skills before using them on a paying job (TV stand). Here is the pre-stained/pre-lacquer result. It was the first project use of my low angle jack, my first time cutting crown molding (all the trim I made in the shop), and it will be my first lacquer attempt latter this week. Wood is red oak from IN (top glue up, crown/trim, face frames, shelf edges) and red oak ply (sides and shelves) from Menards.

bc1.jpg

bc2.jpg

bc3.jpg

Thanks for looking.

looks good to me,, the gtr sawn face frames are gonna snap when they get the lacquer:thumb: one question i the pic i see a jig of some sort on your bandsaw table with air attached what is it?

That is the shop fox W1500 right angle jig. You can use it to resaw kinda. I use it with my shaper. I am just storing it there - open miter slot. Air line is just resting there as I just used my brad nailer.

g3642.jpg

That looks great Mike. What method do you prefer for drilling your shelf peg holes? I have rarely used them and usually with mixed results (ie; I'm a klutz). I have some bookcases coming up for my office (snowdrifts of WWing mags here as well) and will need to drill a boat load of them.

I use the rockler shelf pin jig. It was cheap and drills holes 14 at a time. You use the jigs edge to register alignment and a shel pin to index/continue on drilling. Comes wit a vix bit as well for self centered holes. Mine is the 1/4" model.

Small world that it is, I was just today thinking to myself that I don't really much like oak. Now I read this thread and see some beautiful oak figure in a great piece - might just need to rethink my opinion.

Excellent job :thumb: - I too look forward to finished pics.