tiny router bits, jewelry anyone?

Frank Fusco

I should have known better. Actually, probably did but, as always, was trying to save some money.
I'm working on a small project and have what will probably be a one-time use for a small round over bit. Most I have seen are quite expensive, up to $99.00 for one. Some sets about the same amount. Found these for $15.00 for the set. One time use? OK, probably just what I need. Wrong. :(
They are obviously very dull and, being tiny, would be difficult to sharpen. Tried anyway with the high speed mini router/cut-out tool. You can tell where it hit wood. But cut? :rofl: :rofl: Waste of money and time. Oh, well.
But, they are cute. Jewelry anyone?

Attachments

• small bits.jpg
    small bits.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 50
Those are cute, but if they don't do the job I guess cute is all they are.

If the roundover is that small, maybe a sanding block to soften the edges by hand would be better. That's my preference anyway when it's possible...doesn't look so machine made.

Cheers.

Frank,

They look like the bits I have for my Dremel. I agree, they are tiny, but can be sharpened.

I used a small file to get an outside edge "clearance" behind the cutting face.

Then I used one of my diamond hones on the flat cutting face to actually sharpen the cutter.

I found that from the factory some of my bits were ground incorrectly to start. The cutter face (cutting edge) was actually a smaller diameter than the overall outside diameter of the bit. (You know how sometimes you find a drill bit that won't drill? The land behind the cutting edge is farther out that the edge itself) I had a good rubbing surface, but no cutting going on.

After releaving the back of the cutter's outside diameter, I was able to grt the cutting edge of the face to touch the workpiece without anything else touching. It took me a little time, but I needed the small size of the bit to do what I wanted, so I sharpened them. They work pretty good now. (Granted, they are not real router bits, but the will cut)

Send them to me. I'll sharpen them for you.

Aloha, Tony

Frank,

They look like the bits I have for my Dremel. I agree, they are tiny, but can be sharpened.

I used a small file to get an outside edge "clearance" behind the cutting face.

Then I used one of my diamond hones on the flat cutting face to actually sharpen the cutter.

I found that from the factory some of my bits were ground incorrectly to start. The cutter face (cutting edge) was actually a smaller diameter than the overall outside diameter of the bit. (You know how sometimes you find a drill bit that won't drill? The land behind the cutting edge is farther out that the edge itself) I had a good rubbing surface, but no cutting going on.

After releaving the back of the cutter's outside diameter, I was able to grt the cutting edge of the face to touch the workpiece without anything else touching. It took me a little time, but I needed the small size of the bit to do what I wanted, so I sharpened them. They work pretty good now. (Granted, they are not real router bits, but the will cut)

Send them to me. I'll sharpen them for you.

Aloha, Tony

Thanks, Tony. I'll be in Hawaii by Friday. If we were on the right island I would hand deliver to you. ;) But, we will be separated by some water and don't have intra-island hops planned or in the budget.
I have some diamond Ex-Laps and will be giving the sharpening thing a try when we return. Or, they may actually end up as jewelry. I have pin backs that could be epoxied on. They are cute.