Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cement garage floor patch-repatch

Cement garage floor patch-repatch

I have a question for anyone that knows about cement work.
    A while ago, when I was younger, good looking and stupid, I decided to fix some cracks in my garage floor.
    I bought a bag of quikcrete,(whatever its called), chipped away at the hole, and poured it very high, figuring it would sink a bit.
    It didnt, and Ive always had an uneven high oval(around 2-3 feet wide) in the front of the garage. Never a problem until now that I have to move mobile machines around all the time, they dont roll over that without a fight.
    Now Im old, ugly, but still stupid, I want to repair it again.

I contacted a recommended cement guy today, and he told me the proper way to ensure no more cracks and smooth, is to take out the entire slab the garage is on, and redo it all.
    He wants 2200.00
    I dont know what concrete work costs, but thats alot of dough for me to spend to repair a bump that makes it inconvenient for me.
    Id also have to empty the entire garage, everything, so Id have to rent a pod to store it all in for the work day, and 1, but he said 2 would be ideal days for it to dry. so loading and unloading the garage is quite a task, Id have to take out cabinets, etc.....

Im thinking, if I can have me and my son(hes strong and smart, but doesnt know anything about cement either) take a sledge hammer and break out the concrete bubble/oval, I can make a better attempt to fill it in.
    BTW-the cement I put down, never chipped or came out, but its very high and uneven.

Can someone tell me what product to buy to patch it up again, how much should I hammer out, and how I should level it a bit better, I was watching some guy and he used a 2x4, but this is only a 3 foot one inch deep hole.

my suggestion is to get a good heavy (3-5lb) hammer, a heavy duty chisel, some saftey glasses, and a cd of your favorite concrete chipping music. pay that much to repour a slab that is gonna crack again when the ground heaves (summer/winter) is a bit much for me. just think of all the stress you'll be able to work off...
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Ya got an angle grinder, good respirator, and a big fan? Go to Lowe's and get you a DeWalt diamond cup grinder...about 50 bucks IIRC. Grind your high spot down. Probably won't take you 30 to 45 minutes. I surface ground the floor in the Pink Room in about 2 hours. Actual grinding time was about 40 minutes, but I had one window to exhaust the dust from. I could grind a cloud to the point I couldn't see the floor 2' away from me in about 5 minutes.
    If the original patch is holding, why try to take it back out? Jim.

edit: Be sure to get the double row cup instead of the single row. Easier to keep from digging into the surface creating grooves.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 03-18-2009 at 01:38 AM. Reason: added edit
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

If you go the grinding route, a little bit of water to dampen the surface while you grind will keep the dust down. And make sure you plug into a gfci protected circuit. Don't want any unexpected surprises.

Where were you with the water tip when I was choking in the Pink Room, that I couldn't see, last Fall??? That is a good idea. Wouldn't have to be really wet, maybe just a spritz bottle. Don't know if the water would interfere with the grinding or not. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Not as long it is a diamond grinding wheel. Happens alot on the commercial jobs I work on wether its concrete or granite or marble they need to grind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Ya got an angle grinder, good respirator, and a big fan? Go to Lowe's and get you a DeWalt diamond cup grinder...about 50 bucks IIRC. Grind your high spot down. Probably won't take you 30 to 45 minutes. I surface ground the floor in the Pink Room in about 2 hours. Actual grinding time was about 40 minutes, but I had one window to exhaust the dust from. I could grind a cloud to the point I couldn't see the floor 2' away from me in about 5 minutes.
    If the original patch is holding, why try to take it back out? Jim.

edit: Be sure to get the double row cup instead of the single row. Easier to keep from digging into the surface creating grooves.
    uh....its a little too late to go this way.

I have, dont know what they call it, its just a very heavy axe/sledhammer I used to split logs with for my fireplace 15 years ago, its very heavy, and has a hammer side on one side. I smashed the sides of the bubble to see if it would come up, yep.......when I struck it I felt the entire slab vibrate and jump. I made quite a few holes today, so I dont have a choice now other than to get something and fill it in. I never thought about actually leveling it down.........I never claimed to be that smart.(I never see the obvious route)
    My mind works like a GPS. Instead of going to the corner and making a right, I do what gps says and make 3 lefts.
    (although I chipped away at the far side so as to not impede the tablesaw any more than it is now. The saw is the machine I have to move around the most in the front)
    Last edited by allen levine; 03-18-2009 at 02:15 AM.

Make sure when you pour the concrete back in you use a bonding agent on the existing concrete to promote a good bond. You can get it at hd. Just make sure to read the directions.

Sorry it's too late...but I did go look at my grinder cup and it says works with or without water.
    So follow the recommendations Chuck gave you about smoothing the concrete out with a 2 X 4 and a smooth trowel. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!

I live in Denton, Texas and ranched at Schulenburg, Texas.
    It is always interesting how we ultimately do a job.

I'm sure ur expert will tell u; first clean out the hole and chip off any projections. Mop the hole with a bonding agent. Now use a maximizer patching sakrete, read the labels and follow directions as to the texture of mud. Use the screed (2x4) and level in both direction. Have a stick availale to stab the mud as a vibrator would do. About an hour after u patch the hole work the surface to the same texture ur floor has. It will turn out good.

Let us know how it turns out. As my mother always said; you made your bed, now sleep in it. Ray Gerdes