Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signing work

North Carolina Foothills

Signing work

I would like some comments about signing work. Type of pen, before/after finish, etc.

DSM, IA
    Gary, I sign my work with a fine tip sharpy currently after one coat of finish and then add finish on top of that. It doesn't bleed, but I'm not sure about how long it lasts. I've got plans to make a woodburner from a battery charger and a few parts from radio shack that I need to finish soon.

What do you use?
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Southern California
    Hi Gary,
    I now use a wood burner. My first attempt was with an inexpensive version from a craft store. The kind that looks like a soldering iron. This works, but my hand was so far from the tip that it was awkward to write with. For Christmas my daughter gave me the Detail master set up. (got to love it when your kids are old enough to work from a wish list) This works very well because it feels like a pen and heats up very fast.
    (I stand in front of the microwave and yell hurry)

I recently attended a one day demo by Cindy Drozda. She applies a finish to the bottom, then uses a dremel engraver. This has a reciprocating needle and she signs with very fine detail. Next she uses an engravers pencil and rubs the engraving. This pencil is colored wax, in this case it was gold. When she wiped off the surface, only the gold that filled the engraving remained. This is why she finished the surface first, so the pencil would not work into the grain. The piece she signed was dark, so the gold was easily visible. She is also very artistic and her hand writing is far better than mine.
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

Central NY State
    I use black ink on nice stationery. Then I glue that on the underside of a table, or inside a drawer with yellow glue. Holds up very well, but ages with the piece. FWW had a nice article about signing work a year or two ago.

Delton, Michigan
    i have a custom brand that i had made,heat up with a propane torch and burn in to the piece before finish and the touch sand to clean up the edges then finish. wont be no one erasing my name and puttin theres if they would ever want to
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Rio Rancho, NM
    I laser-engraved the two pieces I've done so far - hubby made up a circular logo I can just engrave on the bottom. I've made some PSA veneer logos for a couple of people who really like them. All it takes is a little time.
    Nancy Laird
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Tellico Plains, Tennessee
    Right now I'm using a fine line sharpie.. I mark all pieces with a piece number, the wood type and my name....on light woods, I'll sign right on the wood, then finish over it... it doesn't work so well with the darker woods.
    So now I'm looking to buy a writing tip for my Razor-Tip wood burner and will start burning the signature in.
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

ABQ NM
    I started with an extra-fine tip Sharpie over the finish, but that seemed to fade after a year or so. I switched to a 1/32" ball tipped woodburning pen for the wood species, date, and serial number, and I use a "VM" shaped nichrome wire in another woodburning pen for the 'brand'.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Burning Pens.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	29986 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brand Example.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	29985
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Colorado Springs, CO
    I have also heard of some using archival ink pens.

Everything is better with inlay or marquetry!

Goodland, Kansas
    I use a pen with archive ink.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.