Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Fox Band Saw

Shop Fox Band Saw

I have been considering a band saw and was set to buy a Grizzly 0555. Then, I found a used Shop Fox W1706. It is in good shape and not used much. He is asking $425. Seems a little high, but is good as new according to the seller - hardly used bought new in 2006. I definitely need to look at it.

Does anyone have this bandsaw and can give any advice?
    Rich (the Yooper)

"To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world."

"Common sense is not so common."

I have that exact saw, and I've been very happy with it. I think I paid a bit over $600 for mine with a riser block, new from a local dealer. For $425, I'd buy it over the 0555, if for no other reason than the cast iron wheels and the base cabinet.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

better hurry rich sounds good to me, and i can be there in about ten hours
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    better hurry rich sounds good to me, and i can be there in about ten hours
    I understand you found it!
    Rich (the Yooper)

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I have that exact saw, and I've been very happy with it. I think I paid a bit over $600 for mine with a riser block, new from a local dealer. For $425, I'd buy it over the 0555, if for no other reason than the cast iron wheels and the base cabinet.
    Vaughn,

Thanks for the feedback. I wanted to hear what a user had to say. It really had a good review in Wood Mag.
    Rich (the Yooper)

I don't know much if anything about either saw, but if I had to choose, the cast iron wheels would be a BIG plus for me.

Good luck!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I have a GO555 and am very happy with it. I bought my bandsaw based on price to fit my budget. It has all the features I was looking for, the only question I have is what is the big deal about having cast iron wheels? Is it for smoothness or rotational mass to help with cutting or what.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    ....... the only question I have is what is the big deal about having cast iron wheels? Is it for smoothness or rotational mass to help with cutting or what.
    Yes

Of course, all things being equal, a poorly manufactured cast iron wheel will not be as good as a well made aluminum wheel, but if they are of equal quality, then the extra mass of the cast iron is usually a plus, it works better at damping vibration as well.

Cheers!

PS, I'm sure that the G0555 is also a great saw!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thanks for the response guys. Life always has interesting twists and ours has taken one.

I discussed this purchase with LOML and she told me not to buy it used. If you buy it new, you get a 2 year warranty. For the difference, go ahead and by it new. After I picked my jaw up off the floor, there was little hesitation! I got on the internet and found the best deal I could. I ordered a new Shopfox W1706 from Bibb Tool and Cutter along with the 6 inch riser block kit. Shipping is free as long as it is business to business - it is being shipped to the paper mill. The total is $621.

The real twist here is that my middle daughter was offered a scholorship to the University of Tulsa. This scholarship pays for room, board and tuition. She works her tail off and it is paying off. To get this scholarship, she went through a long process to became a National Merit Finalist.

The University of Tulsa is 18 to 20 hours from here, but about 6 hours by plane. We can pay for the travel.

This frees up a little bit of cash. However, we still have our oldest in college and a high school freshman to go.

What is amazing, is that Universities like Michigan State would give her a one time scholarship of $2000. There are a number of Universities that award full scholarships for this achievement.
    Rich (the Yooper)

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Way to go Rich We're all waiting now for the photos to post

You've got a great family there Rich.
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.