Shop Fox Band Saw

Rich Aldrich

I have been considering a band saw and was set to buy a Grizzly 0555. Then, I found a used Shop Fox W1706. It is in good shape and not used much. He is asking $425. Seems a little high, but is good as new according to the seller - hardly used bought new in 2006. I definitely need to look at it.

Does anyone have this bandsaw and can give any advice?

I have that exact saw, and I've been very happy with it. I think I paid a bit over $600 for mine with a riser block, new from a local dealer. For $425, I'd buy it over the 0555, if for no other reason than the cast iron wheels and the base cabinet.

I have that exact saw, and I've been very happy with it. I think I paid a bit over $600 for mine with a riser block, new from a local dealer. For $425, I'd buy it over the 0555, if for no other reason than the cast iron wheels and the base cabinet.

Vaughn,

Thanks for the feedback. I wanted to hear what a user had to say. It really had a good review in Wood Mag.

I have a GO555 and am very happy with it. I bought my bandsaw based on price to fit my budget. It has all the features I was looking for, the only question I have is what is the big deal about having cast iron wheels? Is it for smoothness or rotational mass to help with cutting or what:dunno:.

....... the only question I have is what is the big deal about having cast iron wheels? Is it for smoothness or rotational mass to help with cutting or what:dunno:.

Yes :D

Of course, all things being equal, a poorly manufactured cast iron wheel will not be as good as a well made aluminum wheel, but if they are of equal quality, then the extra mass of the cast iron is usually a plus, it works better at damping vibration as well.

Cheers!

PS, I'm sure that the G0555 is also a great saw! :thumb:

Thanks for the response guys. Life always has interesting twists and ours has taken one.

I discussed this purchase with LOML and she told me not to buy it used. If you buy it new, you get a 2 year warranty. For the difference, go ahead and by it new.:eek: After I picked my jaw up off the floor, there was little hesitation! I got on the internet and found the best deal I could. I ordered a new Shopfox W1706 from Bibb Tool and Cutter along with the 6 inch riser block kit. Shipping is free as long as it is business to business - it is being shipped to the paper mill. The total is $621.

The real twist here is that my middle daughter was offered a scholorship to the University of Tulsa. This scholarship pays for room, board and tuition. She works her tail off and it is paying off. To get this scholarship, she went through a long process to became a National Merit Finalist.

The University of Tulsa is 18 to 20 hours from here, but about 6 hours by plane. We can pay for the travel.

This frees up a little bit of cash:thumb:. However, we still have our oldest in college and a high school freshman to go.

What is amazing, is that Universities like Michigan State would give her a one time scholarship of $2000. There are a number of Universities that award full scholarships for this achievement.

Well, the new saw is nice and all, but the big congrats go to your daughter. :thumb:

Sounds like a good news day all around.

The real twist here is that my middle daughter was offered a scholorship to the University of Tulsa. This scholarship pays for room, board and tuition. She works her tail off and it is paying off. To get this scholarship, she went through a long process to became a National Merit Finalist.

Tell her congratulations! That's my alma mater and I can tell you, it's not easy to get a scholarship there, much less a full ride scholarship.

Seeing as she's coming from out of state I'm guessing she'll be living in on campus housing, right? Has she been assigned housing yet? The Lottie Jane has the history but the twin towers complex is a lot nicer. The campus has changed quite a bit from when I was there in the mid '80s but it still comes across as a quiet and cozy campus.

Make sure she visits the Coney Islander on 11th and Atlanta. It was a favorite hangout when I was there.

Tell her congratulations! That's my alma mater and I can tell you, it's not easy to get a scholarship there, much less a full ride scholarship.

Seeing as she's coming from out of state I'm guessing she'll be living in on campus housing, right? Has she been assigned housing yet? The Lottie Jane has the history but the twin towers complex is a lot nicer. The campus has changed quite a bit from when I was there in the mid '80s but it still comes across as a quiet and cozy campus.

Make sure she visits the Coney Islander on 11th and Atlanta. It was a favorite hangout when I was there.

Thanks for the information. I think it is the twin towers where she will be staying - it is tied in with the scholarship. She likes it because it is bigger than a normal high school, but smaller than something like Michigan State.