Whats with all the Forums

Frank,
I agree with Stu, that Rob probably did't want to create offense.

There is of course a big problem, well potential problem in communicating online, in that there are no non-verbal (written) communications involved. The delivery and facial expressions are very important parts of communicating.

Hi All

Thank you for taking the effort to educate me. I appreciat everyones comments and now understand the nuances of the various options one has in this area of forums.

Frank I am sorry you took my comments the wrong way there was nothing like you said intended in my post. I thought I had tried to convey that but obviously did not. Please accept my apologies.

I was simply asking for the guidance that I got from all the postings.

Appreciate all those who understood my tone and intent and apologize to anyone who read it wrong.

I dont know where everyone gets the time to participate in more than one forum. I have a general interest in all woodworking and therefore read I would say 90% of the posts. I still find I miss some because i did not refresh my browser. I suppose should i get to the stage where i specialize more then I will narrow down my interests.

I value this forum for more than just the woodworking knowledge. I like the fact that it is non commercial, that the people are supportive and helpful.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Frank, I could see how one could take Rob's post in the way you are taking it, but for me, I think Rob is just honestly asking a question that he is unsure of the answer for others. I've not ever seen Rob "Talk down to anyone" and I don't think he has started to do so. For me, this just shakes out as yet another example of the limits of this kind of text communication, to over come a lot of the limits, I have learned a simple rule, which works for me, if you can take a comment one of two ways, positive or negative, I will always assume the best and take the comment in a positive light, for me, life is just much easier that way :D YMMV :wave:

BTW "zeitgeist" thanks, I learned a new word today! :thumb:

Stu

Frank,
I agree with Stu, that Rob probably did't want to create offense.

There is of course a big problem, well potential problem in communicating online, in that there are no non-verbal (written) communications involved. The delivery and facial expressions are very important parts of communicating.

Thank you Stu and Paul you read me correct, I appreciate you trying to set the record straight.:thumb:

Rob and I had a nice PM exchange and, after hearing his thoughts, I have to back down from my comment above. I guess I was trying to say it "takes all kinds of folks" in this world, some like spreading their net wide, some, not so wide. What bothered me before Rob and I chatted was I felt he was "judging" others, while he really was only "observing" them.

All the best to you Rob, and a special thanks to Stuart and Paul for helping.

I frequent 5 forums, belong to probably 10 and post on 2-3...This is by far the one I spend the most time on, but get lots out of many more too. Some I only look at pics of people work to see if I can get some kind of inspiration or ideas from.

Frank, many people on other forums wouldn't follow up with a response like yours. Open minds and discussion go far. Thanks for doing so...This is one of the reasons I like FWW...good people here. :thumb:

I like Stu's thoughts on this subject, now if one of you very nice people on here would give me a swift kick in the hiney I would do that more often. Truly Stu you are inspirational to many people on here. (well at least me...I got to do as you do more often) Thanks.

forums

I belong to five forums and I have many things I like to do. lathe, fretwork, furniture, and such. I learn from reading other peoples posts and often contact them to learn more. I post to let others know if I have had a problem and found a solution or if I need help. My shop is small but I still get things done. I say thanks to all who have posted here and other places to help others every day.
Mark

Others have said basically the same thing so I'll just add my info for emphasis. I monitor several different forums but only post here. The others I monitor tend to be setup more for professionals that need to share information rather than for novice learning. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that but as Allen mentioned, it makes it intimidating for a novice to post their work or ask questions.

My paying job is as a network engineer. While there's a lot to that basically I'm the guy that's responsible for making sure all the bits get to the right places in the correct order when traveling across a network (like the Internet). I monitor roughly a dozen forums and actively participate in several of those. he scenario is a bit different there as the forums tend to be vendor forums. I was even an admin (aka Sysop) for Novell for a while. It can be time consuming trying to keep your posts relevant in that many forums which is why I now only participate in a few. I still monitor the rest as they will often have good, pertinent information for me.

I guess what I'm trying to get at, though not all that well, is that FWW is a general type forum with lots of good information about a wide range of topics. While we can get very specific on various items it's sometimes better and easier to go somewhere where the only thing they talk about is the one little item you want some more information on.

I hope this helps and isn't too much of a regurgitation of what others have said.

Rob,

I am on 4 forums, this one a little - but I wish I hung around here more. Particularily after reading Jason's post. I also hang out a little at SMC for the CNC and sign making stuff. I hang out on VECTRIC forum a bit but they are primarily a support forum for Vectric CNC programming software - and a VERY active forum. The place I got started is at WW.com, but that place is largely unmoderated and just about anything that is said is acceptable. I find that it is often a not very friendly atmophere, but I have somehow been there for about 5 years and close to 10k posts. It's hard to leave such place, only cause I have been there so long. Of the 4 forums - I think FWW is probably the best, cause it's democratic, and moderated well. SMC, I think is pretty well moderated. Vectric is VERY moderated. I also pop in from time to time at a few others.