something better than nothing

I just spent about 20 minutes picking up some stuff around the shop - minor decluttering. The next major step is to get the winter holiday ornamentation up into the attic - it's taken this long due to me having a bit of a back injury and not wanting my wife to be on the steep folding stairs.

After that (hopefully this weekend) I'll have unimpeded access to my primary wood storage again to get some plywood offcuts put away. Then I can get to my DC to put the bag back on (it popped off a bit of an embarrassingly long while ago :eek: ) and move my little chair of a stepstool to the air cleaner to replace the filter as the flow needle is on the line between red and green now - probably due to using the air cleaner without DC a few times too often. :doh:

Can't hardly tell I did anything by just looking yet, but at least there's a little less needs to be decluttered before I'm back in business.

Mark, I still have a ways to go with mine too. I've been at it for about 2 months now.:eek: I cleaned off my non woodworking bench about 2 weeks ago...first time I've seen that much of the top since it was built!! Found new homes for a lot of the stuff that had grown roots there. Built a couple shelves, etc.
My next project is to get the remainder of the insulation off the floor in the finishing room, and in the attic there, then start putting up some ceiling covering. (read that as OSB) THEN I can tackle the big metal table my Dad gave me and decide what the heck I'm going to do with it. There really is no place in the shop for it, but I'm not sure where I would put it either.
Keep at it. It will make you feel a lot better about being in the shop once you get most of it done!! Jim.

Small steps are better than no steps at all. ;) Keep chipping away at it, and you'll be back in business before long.

I didn't get the last of our Christmas stuff put back into storage until last weekend, so you're not alone there. :p

Hey Mark, You remember those little puzzles that have the movable squares you have to shift around to get the picture lined up. Sometimes I feel like I'm doing that in my shop.........lets see, I'll move this here and then I can move that there.........on and on. I finally got tired of all the exercise and am building a cabinet to store a bunch of them little time stealers. :D I built 15 drawers today and had to get 3 of my young'uns to sweep up knee deep planer shavings. One of these days I'll actually run the pipe for the dust collector..........

Hey Mark, You remember those little puzzles that have the movable squares you have to shift around to get the picture lined up. Sometimes I feel like I'm doing that in my shop.........lets see, I'll move this here and then I can move that there.........on and on. I finally got tired of all the exercise and am building a cabinet to store a bunch of them little time stealers. :D I built 15 drawers today and had to get 3 of my young'uns to sweep up knee deep planer shavings. One of these days I'll actually run the pipe for the dust collector..........

I got one of those shops.. seems like I'm always moving something so I can get to something else. :dunno:

Ok, didn't get anything done this past weekend - Saturday I was tired and needed a lazy day and then Sunday morning I bent over to leash the dogs to let them out, something popped in my lumbar region and I was laying down with a couple Alleve for most the rest of the day.

Today, however, I got out there for a little bit and found a home for a come-along that has been wasting floor space. One step closer to getting to the DC to put the bag back on. Need to try to get this show moving, as I want to put shelves next to the DC - not the least of which will be used for wood storage - have some Michigan walnut coming my way in mid-April. :D

made it to the DC!

I made it to the DC today! There was a lot of build up inside the top bag (that was popped off), so I took it outside to beat it out. I don't know what is worse - having the wind invariably shift to blow the dust in your face or, as happened tonight, having a dead calm so the dust just spills forth in a cloud all around you ... and then just stays there.

I think the problem is that a long time ago, I upgraded my bag with an Oneida Air 0.30 micron bag, but they gave me a top instead of a bottom. I picked it up Friday and used it over the weekend before it struck me that maybe the writing on the bag shouldn't be upside down. Anyhow, my top bag, being, in fact, a bottom bag, doesn't get held up by the little post dealie when not in use. It probably got snagged on something the last time I fired it up when it popped off. What a mess that was. :doh: :eek:

Anyhow, it looks like the bottom clear plastic bag is half filled, which means I should probably empty it soon. Not going to let this stop me from using the DC though.

Next on the anti-dust agenda is to replace the outer filter of and clean the inner filter of (if needed) the Delta ambient air cleaner (air filter). Do I need to order a filter from Delta, or can I use a furnace filter? Should I use a furnace filter?

Mark, I don't remember if you have an air compressor. If you do not, we can blow out your outer filter when you come by my house with my compressor. I find that helps restore flow, and may be worth doing before spending the dough on a replacement.
Ken

Ken, I do have a compressor - that is a good idea. Would've tried it tonight but it was raining and I figure that blowing dust out of a filter should happen outside.

So I go out to the shop tonight, turn on the DC, plug one end of my "across the room" hose to the jointer and totally forget to plug the other end into the drop for the DC. :doh:

But wait, there's more. :eek:

So I get my jointing done, realize that my DC hose was unplugged, plug it in and use the hose to suck up some jointer shavings from when I was jointing without the DC. Not paying close enough attention, I manage to suck up a plastic grocery bag! :eek: :eek: :doh: :doh:

The DC doesn't quite sound the same now (hopefully just my imagination) so I guess I'll need to take the hose off the DC main port and look at the impeller before doing any planing. Anyhow, I'm done for the night. Where's the "throw in the towel" emoticon? :eek:

Mark, I've sucked up paper towel, plastic bags, and terrycloth towels into my DC. Sometimes they do get wrapped around the impeller, but it's pretty easy to pull off the hose and get things untangled.