Almond Mfr chuck

I just came by an Almond Mfr chuck. It is an MT-2 pin and then your typical 1/2" drill chuck. I'm planning to clean it up and use it as a tailstock chuck in the lathe. I tried taking a pic, but my wife uses my camera far more than I do and there was no battery juice left in it. Anyhow, does this possibly count as old iron?

That depends on the date of manufacture. :dunno: Try looking for the patent date on it somewhere. Older tools had that on them.

But I am sure it won't be shiney new stuff.

Good find my friend. :thumb: That should work real good for the lathe. And, if you ever get e drill press with a #2 MT, it can share duties there too. Good chucks are nice to have. You never know when you'll have to hold something round. Now you have another way.

Aloha, Tony :wave:

Found batteries for the camera.

Almond.chuck.no39.jpg

The text is washed out by glare, but the inside flat ring of the collar that turns to tighten and loosen the chuck (is this a collar?) reads: Almond Mfg. Co. Ashburnham, Mass. NO- 39. I made the text of the chuck purple in hopes that Vaughn will be lured to this thread. :rofl:

I do already have a drill press with an MT2 chuck, but don't like the idea of swapping the chuck back and forth from drillpress to lathe - I'd probably drop it and break it somehow. :eek:

Sure. Next thing can you get parts to rebuild it. I would guess it would be a little worn for a good tailstock if your gonna use it to do any center drilling
Reg