My new "hauling vehicle"

Greg Cook

Just delivered today!

Brand new 2008 Honda Super Cub 90. No, I won't be hauling a lot of sheet goods, but it will be handy to hit the local DIY store for this and that, and grocery shopping for the heavier items my wife can't carry home. (very important!)

I was going to get a Press Cub 50 (50cc newspaper delivery bike), but this "Super Cub" is the newer "Custom" style, has electric and kick start, larger gas tank, and other upgrades. And it is 90cc, which means more power and I can legally drive over the 18 mph limit that's on 50cc bikes.

I got a front basket, larger rear carrier and the windshield, which is great for rain in Winter and the rainy season in Spring, and bugs in Summer.

The 50cc Cubs have electronic fuel injection, while the 90cc still has a carburetor, but that's fine with me. There are rumors that Honda is coming out with a new Super Cup 100cc to replace the 90, and will increase the price accordingly. Mine is one of the last 90 Customs produced, and was actually cheaper than the 50cc ones. The dealer only had 3 when I first visited them, and they sold one a week later. I put a down payment on one of the remaining, even though I didn't even have my license yet.

I got my drivers license a couple of weeks ago and can now ride a 50cc bike, but nothing bigger. The 50cc and the 90cc Cubs are exactly the same style, size etc, except for the engine. :dunno: Anyway, now I just have to get my motorcycle endorsement for over 50cc (but under 125cc) so I can drive it. The soonest I could get an appointment for the driving test is 4/15. :bang: That means taking another day off from work. I've already taken 1 1/2 days off; one day to get my regular drivers license and a half a day to apply for my bike test and make the appointment. You have to do it in person!:doh:

I had a Press Cub before, but sold it when I moved from Seattle. I knew I was going to get a new bike, and wanted a bigger engine. The Cubs are like the old "Army Jeeps" in that they haven't really changed in style since they were introduced in 1958, and they just run and run and run. Easy to maintain and parts will always be available. The Cub is 50 years old (last year) and Honda has sold 60 MILLION of them worldwide. The discovery channel calls them the greatest motorcycle ever built, and has a youtube video of a guy trying to destroy one, but it keeps starting back up. They will haul more weight than you can imagine.

Anyway, I am excited to get it. It will be my commuter vehicle, local area tour bike and goods hauler for many many years.

Last edited:
OOPS, I see that another WW tool parking space just got eliminated.:eek:

Looks pretty slick, Greg. It should be great, cheap transportation and fun to ride.:thumb:

I had a 90cc honda about 30+ years ago for one summer. Neat little bike and was great for getting around the burbs. I do remember one of its limitations.

My brother was a dirt bike rider and I followed him out into the woods one day. All was well and I was having a great time on the dry trails. We came to a clearing that was more mud flat than anything else. He headed across on his 125 cc and I followed on my 90. It was then I learned why dirt bikes have such a huge tire to fender clearance.

About 20 feet into the mud flat and the mud caked up in my front fender so tightly that it stopped the front wheel completely. I, however, continued to move forward - over the handlebars, 270 degree flip, to land flat on my back in the mud.

I was fortunate to only damage my pride, and get a little dirty.

Greg just take it easy on that thing. The 50cc motorcycle has very poor breaking power. I should know i have legs with scars to prove it.

Great little bike to get around the density of traffic where you are.

Enjoy it.

How come you can only drive 50cc. In my day the restriction was age.

16 thru 18 50cc 18 > greater than 50cc. Which never made sense to me that you could go from a 50cc on your 18 birthday to a 750 cc (that was a big bike back then).

I had a 90cc honda about 30+ years ago for one summer. Neat little bike and was great for getting around the burbs. I do remember one of its limitations...About 20 feet into the mud flat and the mud caked up in my front fender so tightly that it stopped the front wheel completely. I, however, continued to move forward - over the handlebars, 270 degree flip, to land flat on my back in the mud...

Shoulda had a TRAIL 90! And yeah, they did make them back in the 60's & 70's.

I've got the 1965 version of the 50 cc Supercub. Mine holds nearly one gallon of gas, and despite it's 44 years of age, averages right around 160 miles per gallon.
My mother in law bought it new, drove it for a few summers, then parked it. 40 years later, she gave it to me to get it running again - new battery, points, and a change of oil, and it fired up on the 2nd kick.

Attachments

• hondac100_md.jpg
    hondac100_md.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 11
That is a nice little motorbike. I missing seeing those on the road. They are common on the streets of Pakistan. Motorcycle riders in Pakistan really push the limits of their bikes and themselves.

Attachments

• Pak1.jpg
    Pak1.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Pak2.jpg
    Pak2.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Pak3.jpg
    Pak3.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Pak4.jpg
    Pak4.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Pak5.jpg
    Pak5.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Pak6.jpg
    Pak6.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 23
Norman, thanks.

Actually the Cave is pretty full as it is; even more so with all the the flattened boxes and bags of packing paper we have added since this pic!:doh: Now there is just enough room to park the Cub there.

Chuck, thanks. Yeah, I finally got tired of getting hammered by bugs and got a lens for my helmut, but the windshield to help even more.

Rennie, thanks. I'll remember to not go cruising through any rice paddies now..:eek: :rofl:

Jason, thanks. Those are cool! :thumb: I looked at them here too, but wanted something more to haul and had experience with the Press Cub, so I went with the same style. Hope you enjoy your scooters!

Rob, thanks.

Here in Japan, your license for a bike goes by the size of the engine. <50cc, you can ride with a regular driver's license. 51~125cc is one class, 126~400cc is the next higher, then over 400. Each one costs more money, and the test, or should I say the tester (cops here) are tougher.

Paul,

That is a real classic! Seems funny, my bike has a 4 gallon tank, but looks just like yours. :dunno: The 50cc has a 3.4 gallon I think. They really are almost "bulletproof". Check out this video. Do you have any current pics of your cub?

Mohammad, thanks. I have not been to Pakistan yet, but I have been to other countries and have seen a lot of cubs loaded down.

Last edited: