$30 difference in price...

Ned Bulken

Is the limited lifetime warranty worth $30 over vs 3 year warranty? I'm looking at a new shop vac for general shop cleanup.
I've boiled the choice down to either a 3.5 peak HP 9 gallon 'Husky' which is home despot's lower tier, but Ridgid accessories compatible vac for $54. It has a 3 year warranty

For $79 I can get the Ridgid 5 peak HP 12 Gallon shop vac with the limited lifetime warranty.

I'm pushing the budget with the larger vac, so I'm seriously considering the off brand, on the other hand I've used three different Ridgid vacs over the years, and they've done a nice job and held up well in my friends' shops.

The cash difference is minimal, so I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the larger vac, trick will be 'sneaking' the tool past the LOML. We've always had a 'your budget is yours' setup, but with the recent changes in the family, I'm seriously rethinking my cash outflow.

The broom and dustpan will work for now, but I'm thinking that the shop will be better and cleaner with fewer chips underfoot.

Thanks for looking & chiming in.

Ned, something I'd seriously consider were I buying another shop vacuum is noise - especially in a smaller shop. The Rigid vacs with (IIRC) SPC or SFC noise reduction are said to be much quieter. Some shop vacs scream so loud it hurts. This would be a major consideration for me. My ears, and the amount of aggravation to family and neighbors, could easily push me $30 worth.

Rennie, good point,
I picked up a real screamer of a vac used last summer... which is one reason I'm stepping up to a larger vac. The little one I picked up was only $15 and it has worked, but it is only a 6 gal, and the hose is ridiculous, hence my shopping spree. I'll list the little vac on freecycle one of these days.

As small as my shop is either way, I'm seriously considering building an enclosure to muffle the vac, saw a plan in either Wood or FWW which should help with the noise. with a 12' hose on it, I can just about literally plop it in the middle of the shop and hit all corners with ease.

I can't speak for the Husky unit but I have used my 6.5HP Ridgid nearly every day for about 5 years without a problem. I think this was before the LSA was offered by Ridgid or, I was just unaware of it. I don't recall hearing about Ridgid vacs giving folks problems so, LSA or not, it seems to be a proven product for them.

I do have a separator ahead of the main tank and I have a Clean Stream filter. Both of these items probably add to the life of the machine as far as keeping bad stuff away from the motor(?). I run a 25 foot "anaconda" of a hose that reaches almost everywhere. I built a foam lined barrier for my small compressor that really cuts the screaming down and have plans for the vac unit as well.

Last edited:
get the ridgid and save on your ears, 3 months from now, the 30 dollars could be eatin up in capachino or donuts waitng to get the next orders.. and if its to loud build the box.. i used a craftsman for my sanders for years and had enough of the noise and put it out in the garge part, in the new shop i got a fien to stop the noise and gain some vacumn.. never regretted that at all. pricey yes but to not have to listen to the noise priceless. ridgids have great reveiws ned.

Ive been usnig the same Genie vac for 20 years.
the hoses are tough, they dont stay in sometimes, but between that and a 1.49 dust pan on a stick, Ive managed to keep the area clean when I want.Before I had the dust collector, and I had inches of debris on the floor, Id use my snow shovel.

Ned. The vac is an important accessory in any household, forgetting your using it in a woodshop.
It will always come in handy,as IM sure you know, so if the 30 bucks isnt that much of a deal breaker, Id go for the better since its going to see alot more use than just the shop.