Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another jointer thread

another jointer thread

The last time I used my jointer I experienced some difficulty passing wood across the blade. Even after a fresh waxing of the table and fence, I found myself needing to use more horizontal force than usual. Am I pressing downward too much or should I be thinking to give my jointer an adjustment?

It is a Ridgid 6 1/8" model.

Thanks!

too deep a cut?

Adjustment problems usually show up as bad results; bowing or snipe. If the wood moves easily on the table surfaces but not through the cutters, I would think knife issues. Have the knives got a lot of use on them or have they sat in rough environment that might have effected the cutting edge?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

If you're taking thin cuts, (which you should be), then I think Glenn is right on track. You can get a little Honing bar for jointer blades at Woodcraft & other vendors that are really cheap, and just lay it on the blade and slide it back and forth to "Touch Up" the blades and see if that doesn't make it work better. That honing every so often will extend the time between necessary sharpening "Unless" the blades are badly nicked, and this honing device won't take out nicks. Be sure to use the same number of strokes on each blade to keep them all the same height over time.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=215
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 03-22-2009 at 07:27 AM. Reason: To Add link to Jointer Honing Tool

I try to stay around 1/64" to 1/32" for single pass cut depth. At worst I'll do 1/16" for very rough stock when not the whole width is actually going to be hit by the knives. So I'll unplug the machine and carefully inspect the knives.

I don't think they've seen alot of use at all. Then again, maybe they are due for sharpening - I don't think they've seen 1,000 linear feet of wood yet, taking into account that the same pieces of wood pass the knives multiple times per use of the jointer.

As for environment, the jointer lives in my unheated attached garage in the northeast.

Thanks for the advice!
    Last edited by Mark Kosmowski; 03-21-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Bigger arms or power feeder.. Try taking and honeing the blades. They will dull from not being usedin this warm climate we live in. Once the rust/crude is scraped off it should be fine.

Check that your outfeed table isnt a tad high. I had a problem getting a board to start on the outfeed table. The wood got caught on the lead edge of the outfeed table. I was also getting tapered wood if it required a lot of machining on the jointer. I had to lower the outfeed table just a little - about 1/8 turn on the adjustment. Unfortunately, I didnt measure it with a dial indicator.

Make sure your guard does not have too much spring force pushing the wood tight to the fence. I haven't heard of this happening, but it is a possible issue. I know that it can jam a piece against the fence if you try to back up.
    Last edited by Rich Aldrich; 03-22-2009 at 06:20 PM.
    Rich (the Yooper)

"To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world."

"Common sense is not so common."

Too much wax can get sticky. It might help to wipe down with a solvent and start from scratch. I need to do that from time to time on my machines. I use TopCote exclusively for speed and convenience, but any wax can build up.

Bob Wiggins is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
    The last time I used my jointer I experienced some difficulty passing wood across the blade. Even after a fresh waxing of the table and fence, I found myself needing to use more horizontal force than usual. Am I pressing downward too much or should I be thinking to give my jointer an adjustment?

It is a Ridgid 6 1/8" model.

Thanks!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What width of wood was you jointing?

I grabbed a flat piece of wood and did some testing of the jointer today.

First, at the highest infeed setting, the infeed table is slightly taller than the outfeed table. I did not experience any stoppages or difficulty sliding the board without a knife poking up.

Next, I used a scrap piece of maple to hold the knife up and the outfeed table is slightly lower than the knife height for one of the two blades (didn't check the other blade).

I'll try wiping off the residual Johnson Paste Wax with mineral spirits and rewax my tables.

My widths range from 3" to 10" (using the no guard / two pass method). I first experienced my movement difficulty while making a rabbet - thought that I was maybe binding between fence and tables, but there were no scratches on the wood consistent with this hypothesis.

Maybe the issue is technique - could I be exerting too much downward force while pushing the boards through? I'm essentially self-taught regarding jointer usage, so I'm open to operator error being the root cause of my difficulties.