Therapy Box

Ted Calver

Staff member
I posted this on another site, but I hope you don't mind me sharing here too. New development puts my bread on the table, so it came as no surprise to find myself on the "we'll call you when things pick back up" roster--on Friday the 13th of all days. This is my therapy box--a little too big for my photo tent. Zebra wood, wenge and bloodwood with a suede cloth liner and a sliding bloodwood tray. About 8" wide x16" long x 6" high. Two coats of Waterlox and some Renaissance wax. LMOL immediately claimed it for her 'bling' (little does she know I'm gonna hock it to buy that new J/P I've had my eye on). OOps...she just looked over my shoulder and suggested the box was just the right size to hold my ashes :D:D:D:D

Attachments

• DSC04319-C1-A.jpg
    DSC04319-C1-A.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC04323-C1-A.jpg
    DSC04323-C1-A.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC04294-C1-A.jpg
    DSC04294-C1-A.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC04309-C1-A.jpg
    DSC04309-C1-A.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 90
Very nice box, Ted. Great detailing and I love the contrasting woods. :thumb: You might want to watch your back around that wife of yours, though. :D

And welcome to the "we'll call you" club. I joined a few weeks before you did. :rolleyes:

That's a very nice box Teds!:thumb::thumb: I really don't think you have anything to worry about. It might be too small for ashes.:rofl::rofl: Then again, might not be--watch your back.

Do you have respiratory problems working with the zebra wood, or other woods? I have a friend who was turning zebra wood and started coughing and itching. To make a long story short, his wife was more cautious than he and took him to the ER. They sent him home then next morning with instructions to avoid zebra wood--allergy. It even caused problems where it touched his arms.

Thanks for the kind words. Ron...I get contact dermatitis from rosewood but no breathing problems. I use a trend airshield when sanding or otherwise making dust and have a very good dust collection system in the shop, in addition to one of thoses shop air filters. I do a lot of Zebra wood and haven't had any problem so far.

Very nice work. You must be a very big guy if you need a box that size to haul your ashes. Let's see, approx 750 cu inches, allows for about 750 pounds of human, after cremation - hmmm, room for you and the Mrs.? But seriously, the box is great.

Ken

Last edited:
Ken...this is just another example of me not planning ahead. I could have made it smaller and had wood left for another box. It's ok though. I'm thinking of keeping it in the shop for M&M storage. 750 cu inches of M&M's and a fridge full of beverage....life is good!!

Toni,
The sliding tray is semi-captive. It rides on rails set in a kerf on each of the long sides. One of the rails is glued in place and the other is a snug press fit so it can be removed to allow the tray to tip down and be lifted out. I wanted the tray removable and the rails were the simplest solution