Glaser Tool and Turning Tool Question

Dan Mosley

Attached are a couple pictures of a couple of the gouges and scrapper that i use. The first two with the dark red handle is a pic of the gouge i really like it has a wide flute at the tip and it when sharp i like how it glides over the wood. the third picture is a Benj Best gouge i got and it has a narrower type flute which i dont use much as it tends to be really grabby (for lack of a better word) and even sharp it tends to want to dig in. It could be the way im using it to but either way we all have our favorites. The last picture is of a large bowl scrapper i got and i really like it when im done hollowing to take a few final clean up cuts (freshly shapenned of course). The last pic also shows the Ci1 i have and i like it also but, then again, like everyone else i have other turning tools that i use for other things.
I was watching a video awhile back and i saw a guy using what he called a Glazer tool. It seemed to have a small steel (HSS or Carbide - not sure) cutter at the tip of the tool and was locked into a steel or aluminum handle. It seemed easy to use, fast to sharpen up, and from his demo on hollowing large blanks it seemed to cut very nicely. the tip was solid with no flute at all and had swept back edges. From watching he used it to roughout, sharpen up and make many types of detail and fine cuts all with the same tip. So i guess i was impressed by tool and thought i would ask if anyone on here uses this type of tool ? .................always searching for that better tool ya know............LOL

If not im still looking for another wide flute gouge like the one i got now - anybody know a source ?

Attachments

• Tool-1 (600 x 450).jpg
    Tool-1 (600 x 450).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Tool-2 (600 x 450).jpg
    Tool-2 (600 x 450).jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Tool-3 (600 x 450).jpg
    Tool-3 (600 x 450).jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Tool-4 (600 x 450).jpg
    Tool-4 (600 x 450).jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Dan on the first three pictures of your gouges are spindle roughing gouges. I am assuming that you are using those for spindle turning and not bowl turning. I hope not anyway. Just curious.

Bernie..........sorry and yes for spindles.....but i need to find a good bowl gouge and was wondering what others are using or wondering if anyone is using the Glaser that i mentioned ........sorry for the confusion - guess i was in to much of a rush..........Dan

Vaughn posted a message about using the Olin which is very similar to the tool (Glazer) i mentioned and ive been doing things somewhat the way he mentioned.....roughing and hogging with my Ci1 and using the scrapper to clean up and prep for sanding........but i want another tool like the Olin or Glazer i think because the video i watched made it look easy to use and i dont have bowl gouge........Thoughts ??

Last edited:
The only Glaser tools I've seen were gouges, as best I recall, so I'm not sure what they might have that's similar to an Oland tool. There are a number of Oland-style tools available, like the Monster Indexer I mentioned in Doug's thread, and some guys have made their own, too.

As handy as the Oland-style tool is (and Monster makes a great one), if I had to choose between the two, I'd take a bowl gouge any day of the week. For me the gouge is more versatile, and it gets a better cut. If you're looking for a good bowl gouge, I'd say look no further than the Thompson gouges. You'll find more expensive gouges, but I don't think you'll find better. ;)

[No affiliation, just a VERY satisfied customer.]

I second Vaughn's advice of Thompson gouges I have 4 spindle & 5 bowl gouges of his & they are the best there is IMHO. I made these 5 ring bowls & I finally had to sharpen my gouge after I did the 5th one.

I also am a very satisfied customer of Doug & am working on getting the other half of his tools I am missing. Also I am proud to call Doug a friend.

Vaughn & Chuck - I take it from the website the Thompson tools come unhandled. I know you can make your own but did you purchase handles and if so where ? ...........Thanks Dan

I thought that is what you meant Dan. I also agree with Vaughn and Chuck. Thompson bowl gouges are second to none. I made the handles for all of mine except for two when I got lazy. I bought a couple of handles from Dave Peebles. Handles are great and well balanced plus you can't beat the price. You can find them here.

http://www.bowlturner.com/

Doug Thompson makes similar tools from round tool steel (instead of a tapered down tang). This 7/8" prototype was on loan for me to try. I don't do stuff large enough to justify it.

c81ed8ca.jpg

In the picture, the shank was 3/4" diameter and on a Kelton Ultimate handle. It is a hogger in professional hands.
May be Doug can chime in to tell how fast it can hollow a cow boy hat.
He doesn't sell them direct.
http://www.hannestool.com/ has exclusive rights.
A Continental style gouge on its side can do a nice finish cut. Of course the tool rest must be close and would not recommend for beginners. Something like the one in the picture is much safer.

For making your own handles:
http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/handles.asp

I was watching a video awhile back and i saw a guy using what he called a Glazer tool. It seemed to have a small steel (HSS or Carbide - not sure) cutter at the tip of the tool and was locked into a steel or aluminum handle. It seemed easy to use, fast to sharpen up, and from his demo on hollowing large blanks it seemed to cut very nicely. the tip was solid with no flute at all and had swept back edges.

Dan,

Was it something like this: http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page4.html?

Scroll down a little and find the Monster +4 tool. Lots of people here have one... I do, and love it. I just wish Randy offered an insert that looked like a bowl gouge... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Before I had a extension for my Jet mini I bought 3 handles from one of the vendors. All I had to do was drill for the correct size & insert it. Right now I have all 7 brass ferrules on the wood blanks for the 7 Thompson tools I'm making handles for.

I am not sure either which Glaser tool you are talking about. If that video is on the net then you might want to post the link.

I own a Glaser bowl gouge, spindle gouge and a mini spindle (detail) gouge. A friend of mine was a member at a local turning club where Jerry Glaser used to visit. My friend purchased these gouges for me directly from Jerry, at a good discount of course. This was before Jerry sold his company. Now Glaser tools are sold via this website:

http://www.glaserhitec.com/

I find Glaser tools much superior than the Sorby gouges that I have. I haven't used any other gouges so my frame of reference is limited.

The 1 inch spindle gouge that Johannes Michelsen uses has to be seen used by him to be appreaciated, the shavings are huge. The large spindle gouges work very well for a finish cut inside a bowl when rolled on the side. The grind must be changed to 45 to 60 degrees with a large secondary bevel... the standard bevel on a spindle gouge is to large for bowls.

...I take it from the website the Thompson tools come unhandled. I know you can make your own but did you purchase handles and if so where ? ...........Thanks Dan

Dan, I made one of my handles, and the rest are from Monster Wood Tools. (The handles are partway down the page.) I prefer the Monster handles over the wood handles I have on other tools.