I named this one "The Peanut" because the shape reminds me of one...
I got inspiration for this from a piece on Phil Holtan's site.
I recently picked up some Persimmon on my in-law's farm from a tree that went down during the last ice storm we had, so I decided to give it a whirl.
This was turned green and then wrapped and left to dry for a short time. It developed some nice bulges around the piths while drying and kinda goofed up the form when you look at the profile. I just left it "as is", sanded it down, then put some AO on it for a satin finish.
The log I started with was from a limb and was about 6" in diameter and about 17" long. It ended up 15" wide and 5" tall at the tips, and 5-3-4" at the widest point of the wings.
All comments welcomed - good, bad, or ugly.