Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how hard is ash to work with?

falcon heights, minnesota

how hard is ash to work with?

i'm planning on using it for the grandfather clock idea.
    benedictione omnes bene

new york city burbs
    I used alot of it on the radiator covers I made, didnt find it hard to work with at all.
    Tooled very nicely.

Floydada, Tx
    Alot like white oak.

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    I just finished a couple of nitestands out of it. Machines well and is generally like oak. It was my first time working with it and I was after an oak look. The material I had took color differently than I expected but was workable. Ash seems to vary by supplier so I expect to see some varied responses here.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-22-2009 at 05:30 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Colorado Springs, CO
    Ok ....I will go against what has been said here and say that that it does not machine well. It chips l out like crazy and has very sharp splinters... not like white oak.

The cure is extremely sharp tools and when forming take light passes. It is a great wood and has fallen unpopular which makes it cheap so by all means got for it...just know that it is not a "dream wood" to work with. (Personal experience)
    Last edited by Dewey Torres; 03-22-2009 at 04:04 PM.

Everything is better with inlay or marquetry!

I've made quite a few pieces of furniture with Ash and think it's a pleasure to work with. Superior to the oaks for workability IMHO. Have never had the problems Dewey spoke of. Machines well and takes a great finish. Here's the stuff I have pictures of. The light parts are ash. I espically like quartersawn, no rays, but it has a nice quiet, straight grain that contrast well with other woods.

Manistique, Michigan
    I made a bar for a friend with ash. It was easier to work with that red oak. There wasnt as much splintering.
    Rich (the Yooper)

"To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world."

"Common sense is not so common."

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    I am building a table using flat sawn white ash and it has worked well so far. It machined well (not to soft & not to hard). I'm told that it is often used by furniture makers and is sold as oak.

Westphalia, Michigan
    I haven't made much with ash but, I will seeing as how I have 50 or so sawable trees with the emerald ash borer eating away. I just talked to a sawmill owner who said he got an order from a guy in California who "looked all over the country" but couldn't find any quarter sawed ash. My friend sawed him up some. It was for a vintage airplane restoration. I have found it machines well in my limited experience.

I live in Denton, Texas and ranched at Schulenburg, Texas.

Just a warning-----

Sawn ash is suseptible to several worms and borers. So be careful how you store it. The good powdered insecticides are ilegal now, but you might cover it with plastic and put moth crystals in the wrap.

Ray Gerdes