Steel snake

steel snake

It's Capt. Eddies version of the Elbo and Monster hollowing tool . Makes turning Hollow forms a wizz and easy on the arms. go to You tube and search for Elbo or Monster Hollowing tools. You'll be amazed at how easy it make HF to do.

John great looking tool and looks like it will do the job. What size of boring bar?

Dewey it makes doing a HF so nice. I had the kelton hollowers and with arthur in my elbow and hands it just beat me to death. I bought the Monster from Randy Privett and what a dream to use. I can do a couple of HF's sometimes three in a day where as before I barely could get one done and not without the help of about 3 advil.:rofl:

I would love to make some of my tools but with a part time clock repair shop and a full time job if I made tools I would never get to turn.

Steel Snake

:) I made two boring bars, both 1/2' dia. One is a swan neck. I'm using the a Jamieson and Sorby swivel cutter holders. The Sorby is used on the top side rather than below. Had to file the groove to accept the 3/16" cutter tip. It will fit the Hunter round carbide assembly also. The bars are too long right now , will work on cutting them down between 6' and 7" when I get back. They are 10" now and too long for my Jet 1220. I 'll be in Nashville tomorrow afternoon.:wave:

You're right sometimes I feel that buying tools is easier than the time to make them. But the satisfaction of making it yourself has bragging rights and a sense of accomplishment. Like a nicely turned bowl or HF.

Last edited:
John great looking tool and looks like it will do the job. What size of boring bar?

Dewey it makes doing a HF so nice. I had the kelton hollowers and with arthur in my elbow and hands it just beat me to death. I bought the Monster from Randy Privett and what a dream to use. I can do a couple of HF's sometimes three in a day where as before I barely could get one done and not without the help of about 3 advil.:rofl:

I would love to make some of my tools but with a part time clock repair shop and a full time job if I made tools I would never get to turn.

Would I need to get the mini version to fit the 1220vs?

Steel Snake

;) I have a Jet 1220 , not the 1220V. The Elbo Hollowing System or the Mini Monster Hollowing System is made for Mini-Midi lathes. Just let them know your lathe size and they will give you the appropriate mounts.:wave:

Nicely done. I know you will like the tool. They work well. I don't know if the home built version is as good the manufactured ones but working with tools that you have built is priceless.

Looks like you used oil impreganted bronze washers between the bars and bolts with washers and lock nuts to hold them together. Did you also use bushings?

steel snake

Looks like it works well. A few of us are attempting to build a couple and will let you know how they work. I used an Elbo Tool and found it very easy to control and had great results.

Steel Snake

:rolleyes: Finally got to test run my project. Works great .Thanks to all who contributed to the build of the SS. Special one to the Capt. for initiating the plans. I'll post pics after I'm done.....................Aloha:wave:

Attachments

• DSC02115.JPG
    DSC02115.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC02114.JPG
    DSC02114.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 45
Laser mount

:D Yes that is the Elbo laser mount. Initially I had mounted to a pipe clamp and used on the Sorby Hollowmaster and Multi Tip hollower. Worked great on them but had to put up with a vibrating laser light.
Might work on a Rockwell lathe, just maybe adjust the height or revamp the mount. Mine is adaptable to other lathes, just use the T-nut from that lathe. If you look close the height is adjustable. I also made a #2 MT mount for the SS.:wave: