Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jamie's Shop Thread

Jamie's Shop Thread

As I mentioned in my garage remodel thread, I am planning to build a dedicated detached shop in my back yard and would like to track it here (hopefully I can get a bunch of good ideas as I already have from the various threads here). I mentioned that the process would be starting in the spring, but that has changed for the better. Since we just finished a large construction project, my wife has convinced me to hire someone for this one. I am not completely pleased with this decision, but I will live with it in order to have a new space to work in. That said, we are on a tight budget.

Our goal was to build something between 200 and 300 square feet. Our back yard (property is only 75’ X 135’ with a slope in the back) and life style (small kids still using the back yard for play) is the main factor in this decision. We looked at a lot of sizes and finally decided on a 12’ X 20’ (I know… too small, but I can not go bigger) building and decided to go with a shed builder. This was a difficult decision for me, but again, the budget took over. The shed will be build on a 4’ X 4’ “skid” system, but I will be digging and pouring piers to anchor the shed (township requirement as well). I applied for the permits on Friday and hope to hear by this Friday. I am hoping to have the building installed by the end of the month.

There are some things about the shed company that I am not happy with, but think I can live with. For instance, the framing is all on two foot centers (2 X 4 walls and 2 X 6 roof) except the floor will be 2X6 on 12” centers. If this becomes an issue, I can add studs and rafters to supplement, but I should be good. The standard building comes with seven foot side walls. This was not even close to acceptable for me so I upgraded to eight foot (I would have liked higher, but the township would have required a variance). The standard building also only comes with regular wood framing and floor material (I upgraded to Pressure Treated).

The company will just be building the basic building, then I will customize (more on that later). It will come primed, and will have a cheesy double wood door. I will likely live with this for a while (will paint in the spring), but eventually will side to match the house and replace the door. I will be installing windows right away though.

Once I get through the township on the building, I will be installing the electrical system. It will likely be just a 60 Amp sub-panel. I will do all of this work myself, and have a rough idea as to the details (again, more on that later).

Attached are my initial thoughts on the floor plan (comments welcome) and I will be doing a Sketch Up drawing soon. The lathe shown is different from mine. I have a Nova 3K with a custom stand but you get the idea. I do not have a band saw yet, but plan to in the near future. The grinder is on a custom cabinet and is on wheels. The table saw is not the one shown, and the out feed table does not exist yet. The out feed will likely be a bench of sorts, and the table saw and the bench will be on wheels. The counters shown will be custom made to the space and I will be building cabinets for above the counters.

I will be building a “loft” storage area on the wall opposite the counter top. I am short, so this will probably be about 6 feet off the floor (our house is very storage challenged and this was the only request from my wife other than aesthetics) to enhance the storage space. Right now, I am thinking it will be 12’ wide by about 6’ (or so) deep.

Again, here is the layout… Comments? Ideas?

Could you identify those tools? I can detect some of them but I'm just not sure what some are. If #4 is the grinder, I think that will get in the way of your table saw. I would put the grinder against a wall to get it out of the way.

jamie, what style of roof? a mansard will give you the most upstairs storage to where you might not have to sacrifice the headroom?
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

roof

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    jamie, what style of roof? a mansard will give you the most upstairs storage to where you might not have to sacrifice the headroom?
    Tod,

The building style is Carriage house. It has a steeper pitch in the front than back (maybe a 6:12 in front and a 4:12 in back?). I know that I will not have a lot of storage room in the loft, that is why it will start lower than the wall height.

thx...Jamie

jamie, at the plannin` stage it`s worth talking about different roof designs just to see what you can get away with.....price and neighborhood wise. if it`s only a couple hundred more to go with a mansard and code permits you`ll be much happier with the headroom.....something to think about? tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bodenschatz View Post
    Could you identify those tools? I can detect some of them but I'm just not sure what some are. If #4 is the grinder, I think that will get in the way of your table saw. I would put the grinder against a wall to get it out of the way.
    1 is the planned band saw
    2 is the dust collector on wheels
    3 is a bench top drill press (very old and heavy) and sits on a rolling tool chest (8)
    4 is the grinder sitting on a home made rolling cabinet (I want it close to the lathe (i am primarially a turner) couple of steps away)

the grinder may move. I would prefer it against the wall, but I do want it behind the lathe and close. I will give this some more thought.

thx...Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    jamie, at the plannin` stage it`s worth talking about different roof designs just to see what you can get away with.....price and neighborhood wise. if it`s only a couple hundred more to go with a mansard and code permits you`ll be much happier with the headroom.....something to think about? tod
    Tod,

This was my biggest contension and I struggled with it a lot. If I go any higher with the building, I will need to get a Varience from the township (not a fun (I was told to expect 2 additional months for approvals ) or cheap process...very tight budget). Just getting the guidelines can be difficult, so I chose to go the easy route. There are just some things that I will need to deal with, and I think this is one of them. Fortunately, I do not build large furniture projects (I am mostly a turner), so I can live with the low ceilings. My first shop was a small section of a sun room (about 9X9) and only had a 6' ceiling. I did a lot of turning in there as well as a bedroom set (night stands, chest, and bed). Granted, it is not the ideal situation, but sometimes you have limitations.

Thx...Jamie

Jamie, my stand-alone shop is about twice as big as yours and is on a smaller lot. You might get some ideas from the journal that I kept when I was building the shop. In case you have not seen the thread http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ead.php?t=1223, I will send a CD containing my journal to anyone who is interested (it's free).

One thing that you might think about is putting a skylight in the roof (assuming that the entire area is not covered by a loft). I put three skylights in my shop and, if I had it to do over again there would be four. You just can't beet natural light.
    Cheers, Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow View Post
    Jamie, my stand-alone shop is about twice as big as yours and is on a smaller lot. You might get some ideas from the journal that I kept when I was building the shop. In case you have not seen the thread http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ead.php?t=1223, I will send a CD containing my journal to anyone who is interested (it's free).

One thing that you might think about is putting a skylight in the roof (assuming that the entire area is not covered by a loft). I put three skylights in my shop and, if I had it to do over again there would be four. You just can't beet natural light.
    Frank,

Thanks for the offer and the suggestions. Unfrotunately, my kids still use the backyard and my township has difficult zoning rules. I do not like the idea of trying for a variance.

I read your entire shop story on the other forum, but may take you up on the CD anyway. Your story was one of the better ones, and I am going to use a lot of the information that you posted. As for the skylight, I have installed quite a few on houses, and do like them. I may plan some in the future (they are not difficult to add), but that is not in my current plans. My concern now is the pitch of the roof. It is not very steep.

thanks again....Jamie

Progress

Well, I just found out that my permit is ready (record time for me). I took down a small tree last weekend (forgot to take pictures) and plan to empyt, and remove the shed that is now in the way this weekend. If the rain holds out, I will hopefully layout the piers as well. Wish me luck...

Thx...Jamie