New Router Table Top

glenn bradley

When I first morphed my table saw extension RT into and enclosed cabinet (still attached to the TS) I planned ahead for a thicker and wider top. I can't even remember why now but at one point my life would have been easier if I could have clamped to the RT; my extension top's sides were flush. The new top hangs off each side and the front.

I had planned to make the new top myself but, back when Rockler was blowing out their old style tables, I picked up a top and fence at a good price. My original extension RT was about 7/8" in order to fit in a frame that could bolt to TS fence rails. I left that requirement behind awhile ago.

As mentioned in the past I have a close rib structure to prevent sag. Modifying the hole in the Rockler table is a little pesky as the larger Woodpecker hole needs to position the lift within the ribs.

1-Rib-Structure.jpg

The top connects to the cabinet in 12 places as well as 4 bolts along the TS wing RT top joint. I added some inserts just like my previous table.

2-Insert-install.jpg

I don't have my router cabinet loose every day so I took advantage and did some tweaking on the TS top. It hasn't been touched since the original setup and only the wing edge that bolts to the RT was off a couple thou; quick fix.

4-Tweak-Wing.jpg

I clamp the table in place to do the final set on height so everything is nice and flat.

3-Clamp-in-place.jpg

Attach everything and re-check . . . all is well.

5-All-Done.jpg

Oooh this is excellent Glen. Just what I was thinking of but in the other side now that I moved the fence over.

Your TS makes a nice great flat top now.

Well done.

Thanks everybody.

At first I used an extension RT due to room constraints (which I still have of course). But now I would find it hard to give up the extra table real estate gained for each tool by hooking them together. For example, when I route long pieces, I don't need a roller stand; I just feed them out onto the TS top.