Little is the furthest from the truth. The Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg, Germany is a just about 12,000 square foot model train set with:
• 800 trains.
• Over 10,000 train cars in total, running several hundred kilometers every day.
• One train is 47.5 feet long.
• Over 170 computer controlled cars.
• More than 200,000 people.
• Controlled by 40 computers.
• 200 cameras control the premises.
• Day and night lighting simulator.
• 300,000 computer-controlled LEDs
Enjoy a video here. Miniatur Wunderland
Their Web site in English here: Miniatur Wunderland