Is Clear Lacquer good on pine doors?

Mark Wingate

Have some knotty pine doors unstained. I do not want to stain them but leave them natural. Would Watco brand of clear semi-gloss lacquer be a good durable protective coat? I got a deal on some from Lowes is why I ask. I will have to apply with a brush.

Thanks

Mark

I'm sure it would apply well enough, but i'm not a big fan of lacquer on things that will take abuse. It scratches fairly easily. My experience pushes me more towards varnish or poly.
Also, water based products are difficult, if not impossible, to spot repair. In my house, with 2 little kids, i just know everything within reach will get dinged and scratched, so i stay with the oil solvent based products.
paulh

Paul, thank you for the reply. From reading the can it says good for protecting doors, so I was not sure. Also this lacquer is oil base and not water based if that makes a difference.

Mark

Paul, thank you for the reply. From reading the can it says good for protecting doors, so I was not sure. Also this lacquer is oil base and not water based if that makes a difference.

Mark

One of the reasons I changes from solvent based lacquer to water based acrylic lacquer was that the solvent based was not as chemical-resistant as the Target USL that I now use. I had a piece that sat next to the sink and a few days later had "spots" that only sandpaper would remove. No such problems with the USL.

I would seal the wood 1st with either Lacquer sealer or shellac 50/50 thinned down with alcohol then lacquer. if you use shellac you need to do the entire door not just the knot because of discoloring.