Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrrrggg.

Arrrrggg.

I have been finishing up a cabinet for my shop and planning on posting a picture or 2 of my first major flat work project. Went out to mount the drawer slides and figured out that I only allowed enough room for one slide. Sheeeesh after spending years designing complicated machinery and building dies you'd think I had my act together. Oh well, I'm going to build a classic wood workbench next so I guess I will have 6 drawers already made.

I have learned a lot doing this project so it is not a total embarrassment. Details details...............

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Downes View Post
    I have been finishing up a cabinet for my shop and planning on posting a picture or 2 of my first major flat work project. Went out to mount the drawer slides and figured out that I only allowed enough room for one slide. Sheeeesh after spending years designing complicated machinery and building dies you'd think I had my act together. Oh well, I'm going to build a classic wood workbench next so I guess I will have 6 drawers already made.

I have learned a lot doing this project so it is not a total embarrassment. Details details...............
    UH OH, I'm Definitely keeping my shop doors LOCKED for a few more days, 'cause it APPEARS that "Mr. Murphy" is on the Move again in his Jet, and rushing around to make his "Family Visits" again.

sounds exactly like something Id do(have done)

is it impossible to take apart the drawers and trim them down another 1/2?

Are the sides thick enough to cut a 1/4" dado in on each side for the slides?

Just sayin, Maybe I've used that trick before, but then that was on shop furniture...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I have never done anything like that even when I had a production shop!!!!!!!

Anyone want to buy some cheep bolt trays

I vote with Brent. If your slides / drawers will agree to it, put in that 1/4" rabbet or dado into the drawer to sneak out the extra 1/2".

I'm still embarrassed about cutting a carcass piece perfectly - if it was going to be flush - the rabbets it was supposed to sit in made things not quite what I hoped.

Live, learn, remember and be very, very glad these weren't heirloom drawers made out of curly cherry with proud ebony pins.

I have learned a lot doing this project so it is not a total embarrassment.
    That is a very, very true statement. Every goof I make, I learn something new. No, really. I'm not joking. Great viewpoint.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Hey, the dado just might work. I'll have to use some shorter screws but that's ok. I've been out in the barn digging through my pile of hemlock trying to find some boards that don't have that much shake........I have some spalted maple boards that......fergit it I'm not using pretty wood for something like utility drawers.

I just took the dado blades off the saw.

I knew there was a reason why I confessed to my stupidity. Thanks for the idea.

This has probably happened to a lot of us, thats why I always say a mistake is part of the plan. Besides look at the bright side..... It takes a lot more skill and thought to correct a situation that you had not planned on. Also you may never do it again..... Unless your like me.... its always better the second time around.
    If you make a mistake it was part of the original plan!

Now you'll have an extra 1/2" of storage space. Since you haven't planned to use this space you'll have to go buy more tools to make the most of your new found space!

Hope the dado idea works out for you!