Remodeling Nightmares

Got these pictures in an email last night, It's truely amazing what people do!:eek::huh::dunno:
Wow. I've seen, and done :eek:, some dumb stuff in my time, but this is way beyond my experience. Don't think I've ever seen stuff quite this bad - unless you count the time I found some knob and tube wiring in an old house I was renting that had been cut to allow the end of an extension cord to be spliced in. The extension cord had the plug end cut off and then dropped through a hole in the floor above to provide for an outlet in the bedroom.:eek::rofl:

So there are parts of America that are sub-standard to many third-world countries, eh?
Oh, I don't know. The town I was living in had once held the Guinness record for having the most bars and liquor stores per square mile in the US. That doesn't sound third world to me. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hmmmm, it might explain the wiring though.:D

I'm not surprised at the pictures. I see stuff like that all the time. Whats worse is subcontractor's will try to get away with things like that on new work if you don't keep an eagle eye on them. If it wasn't for work like that I wouldn't have a job.

The last remodel I did , when we tore the sheetrock off the walls all of the wiring was just spliced in the wall:doh::doh::doh:. No j-boxes, wirenuts or electrical tape. Who knows how long till the house caught fire.

Hey, I kinda Liked that "New" Storage" area, 'cause it has some Real Good Possibilities.:thumb:

Just think, when someone comes in and asks to borrow a tool, just say "Sure, help yourself, it's in the Storage cabinet on the Wall There".:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hmmm....... maybe I should just make a "Loaner Tool" cabinet and wire up a dummy thing like that inside it, maybe that would work too.:D

Last edited:
I wonder if these works were made by professional or DIYers, having said so, it seems that there are this kind so called "professionals" everywhere.

I can recall the story of an old lady who had her closet redone, and soon after having it finished she called a plumber asking " I do not why, but each time I flush the toilet the gas heater goes on"

You've guessed right, the guy had connected the hot water pipe to fill the toilet reservoir.

No j-boxes, wirenuts or electrical tape.
My nightmare neighbor who we all hoped would sell his house quickly when he listed it, failed an Home Inspection sent by potential buyers. Mr. Handyman he isn't, having finished his basement 'all by himself', he saved lots of money by not working with a licensed electrician.

I'm sure it didn't help when he got into a fight with the inspector, and told him where he could put his inspection report.

My nightmare neighbor who we all hoped would sell his house quickly when he listed it, failed an Home Inspection sent by potential buyers. Mr. Handyman he isn't, having finished his basement 'all by himself', he saved lots of money by not working with a licensed electrician.

I'm sure it didn't help when he got into a fight with the inspector, and told him where he could put his inspection report.

I just wish having an inspector actually meant something. About all I see it as is another expense and few of them ever catch anything worthwhile. Anyone care to see the Alum wire going to the range that almost burned down my house where if went to the circuit breaker about 8 inches from the inspectors stamp of aprovial.

Or how about the development that had a nice line of fire hydrants planted for insurance purposes. Must have been for insurance as there wasn't any water lines planted with them.

And I have seen the hot water to the toilet bowl myself.

Garry

My outside water faucet goes to the hot water side. But I left it. It's kind of handy. I have another just around the corner that delivers cold water.

Hot and cold running water outside. Pretty cool! But when I sell the house I will post a small sign on it to indicate it delivers hot water.

I just wish having an inspector actually meant something. About all I see it as is another expense and few of them ever catch anything worthwhile...

I think there are good ones and bad ones. I've had a home inspector do pre-sale inspections for both of the houses I've bought (same guy for both inspections) and he did a good job of finding things I had missed. Granted, he crawled into areas I didn't check, but I was a construction inspector (new construction) in my younger years, so I thought I knew what to look for.

Too bad I'm probably not likely to move to KudzuLand. I'd trust Jeff Horton to do an inspection for me. ;)