Organic table

Paul Hubbman

I'm not sure this is what you'd call flatwork, but i don't know where else to put it. I'm making a small table that hangs on the wall. While the top is a flat single black walnut board (hand flattened and thickness planed because, at a bit over 15" deep, it's too wide for my jointer / planer). The apron supporting the top is made from 3 layers black walnut laminated around a curved form. It's just shy of 1/2" thick. The Tree branch motif was sketched on the wood and i'm about half done with cutting out the voids.

The design idea is something about the string of processes involved in making round wood flat, thin, then curved again, then representative of the trees it used to be - after much processing, control, and work. I don't usually wade so literally into design theory, but this project is for a gallery showing and a benefit auction for the Missouri Coalition for the Envirionment.

There is the first sketch i made and a couple of progress pics.

Paul Hubbman

Attachments

• strandfox table - progress 1.JPG
    strandfox table - progress 1.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 154
  • strandfox table - progress 2.JPG
    strandfox table - progress 2.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 123
  • FoxStrand table sketch - small.jpg
    FoxStrand table sketch - small.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 88
Organic Table - Progress

Last night i got the top flattened - first time i've flattened anything of any size using only hand tools. The scrub plane is a beautiful tool. I think i've exhausted my patience working without a good woodworking bench. The Workmate is a poor substitute - good at what it's made for, pretty flimsey for holding stock for hand planing.

At any rate, i had some good fun last night. My shoulders aren't even too sore. So now the top is nearly done, and the apron has been cut out with some relief carving to indicate branches slipping behind or in front of each other. The attached photos show the two pieces laying upside down and not yet connected. To attach the two, i plan on routing a radiused groove in the bottom of the top. The top of the apron will set in the recess. The middle third of the apron will be glued into place, and there will be a small bracket hidden on each side near the ends of the table to attach the apron at these points. This should fix the apron centered on the top and allow it to expand and contract with fluctuations in humidity. I wish i knew a more elegant way of connecting the two, but i think this might just be the best option. Any suggestions?

To attach it to the wall, i will have a 1" steel "U" channel that will attach to the wall, acting as a cleet. I will run a continuous slot about 1" along the bottom of the back side. The top will simply rest on the cleet, being nearly invisible unless you get down on your hands and knees. I will pin each end of the apron to the wall, near the bottom, with screws set into drywall anchors. This should keep the ends of the apron from moving and keep the top from lifting off of the continuous cleet. Again, if anyone has some other suggestions, i'm open to input.

So now, all that's left is to route the radiused groove, finish up the relief carving and smooth out the back side of the apron - there's some glue that squeezed through during the lamination process that i need to remove. I've got to smooth out the edges from the jig saw cuts, give the apron a final sanding, apply the finish coats (i'm thinking 3 or 4 coats of gel varnish), take some pictures, and deliver it to the gallery.

It's fun to see it coming together.

Paul Hubbman

Attachments

• FoxStrand table progress 2-1.jpg
    FoxStrand table progress 2-1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 63
  • FoxStrand table progress 2-2.jpg
    FoxStrand table progress 2-2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 59
  • FoxStrand table progress 2-3.jpg
    FoxStrand table progress 2-3.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 62
Wow all I can say is I keep feeling totally inadequate when I see work like this. :(;)

Great looking table and I love the design. Good job Paul. I dont know how but i missed the initial post.

Those legs are an amazing idea.:thumb:

Did you use a vacuum bag for the lam?

Barry, no vacuum bag - i'vce never done that and didn't want to start on this project. I made a form and clamped the layers to it. I've got a vac pump and will get there some day. I should try it with some scraps first.

Thanks for all the encouragement folks. I do appreciate it.

paulh

Last edited by a moderator:
No new pics this time, but last night i finished up the many hours of sanding on the apron for the table. For this project, i bought a pelican carving knife and a hand made rasp for working the "branches" on the apron. Man, was THAT money well spent. It took me about a week and half working into the wee hours to smooth out the cuts, eliminate any tool marks, and smooth it down to 220 grit. Last night finished that all off. I may have some spot touch up here and there, but the 4 hour sanding sessions are over (until i start on the next table - one for my wife).

Progress now should be pretty visible. All that's left is to attach the apron to the top, make the brackets and pins for connecting it to the wall, and some finish work.

I've got to say, though, that with baseball season going, the quiet work in the shop goes quicker. I like a lot of tasks, but sanding can get monotonous.

More pics soon.
paulh

Just a quick update - i had to leave things set for a few days - other obligations. So, last night i measured off and cut my curved guide for the router in order to cut the curved dado in the underside of the top that the apron will rest in. The curve is irregular so it took a bit of time to measure it off and cut the guide. I had it clamped in place, set up the router, and about 10" into the cut the bit snapped off right above the carbide tips. The stores were closed, and that was my last bit of that size, so i had to switch gears for the rest of the night.

Every time i use a router, i'm more convinced they're an evil contraption designed to consume a lot of time (making jigs for just about everything), drowning out the radio, and nickle and dime the shop budget into oblivion.

I know there are chores that nothing else can do well (like cutting a curved dado), but i'm beginning to think the tool has a personality - vile, vindictive, and ornery.

I'm soooooo close to getting the two pieces of the table fit together. As i lay in bed last night, i could swear i heard my router cackling at me. But I WILL WIN.

More pics as soon as i get things put together (this weekend).

Paul Hubbman

OK, finally done. It's not mounted to a wall yet, but i did lay it on the floor for a couple of pics. For finish, i used a couple of applications of danish oil for the apron. I wanted to make the top a bit more impervious to deal with things being placed on it, possibly spilled on it, and any cleaning solutions that may be used. For tht top, i used a coat of danish oil, followed by three coats of gel varnish rubbed in.
It's the first time i've worked with black walnut - it finishes really well.
Next up, another table like this one with an apron of quarter sawn sycamore and a top of cherry for our home. We'll see if this one takes me two months as well.
paulh

Attachments

• phubb table 1 small.jpg
    phubb table 1 small.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 30
  • phubb table 2 small.jpg
    phubb table 2 small.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 30
Thanks Royall,
I'm anxious to see how the next one turns out. This is one of those projects that you don't really get a sense of how it will look until it's almost finished. You can't attach the parts or even hold it upright until the thing's just about done.
paulh

That looks awesome Paul:thumb:. The danish oil really made the grain pop and when you look at it ,the branches have a 3 dimensional quality about them.

That's a real BEAUTY, Paul. VERY Nicely done.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I've always liked the way walnut finishes, and it's ONE of my Favorite woods for Furniture, (probably second after Mesquite).:D

Well done Paul! You've fulfilled all the expentancies with this project!:thumb::thumb:

Besides, if you don't mention it, I would have thought that it was mounted on the wall, you got the right viewing angle on the pics.:thumb:

Excellent work, Paul. :clap: I like seeing pieces that step outside the boundaries, but still look good. 'Organic' is a good description of this one. :thumb: