Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VB36 on eBay

VB36 on eBay

Thought maybe someone in the area of this lathe might be interested...only 5hrs left and reserve is not met yet....

>>>>>Link<<<<

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

AHHH!!!

Holy cow! That's my dream machine! Wish I had the money right now, cuz I'd be all over that. What a deal!

Hutch

Well it did not sell. I wonder what the reserve was. Hate it when they do that. Looks like it is pretty new. Would not suprise me if the reserve was over $6000.
    Working flat so I can play round,
    Doug Miller

Repentance Is The
    Prerequisite For
    Gods Forgiveness

Well, here's something. Pretty unusual. Wish I lived closer...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vega-Bowl-Lathe-...3A1|240%3A1318

thanks,

Bill

I've been eyeing the new model of that one. I may have to look at it a bit closer.
    Doug Miller

Repentance Is The
    Prerequisite For
    Gods Forgiveness

Doug, I notice the older one does not have a threaded spindle. That would be a deal-breaker for me. (And even if it was threaded, it's not hollow, and that also adds problems for vacuum chucking.) With no tailstock, reversing a bowl to finish the bottom chucking would be tough. It might be fun as a specialty lathe, but I don't think I'd pay a lot of money for it.

Hutch, I don't think I'd want a VB36 as my only lathe (and I know it wouldn't be yours), but it sure looks like a bowl-coring son of a gun.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Like I said, I'm going to do a bit of investigating. I got some lessons from Terry Daniel on his VB a couple of years ago. He showed how he could rough a bowl while talking to the group there in under 10 minutes. As a part of that he turned a recess in the bottom while the piece was on the face plate. With this method, the recess and the surrounding band are finished to a nice foot and you never have to go back to it. In fact, you can return it to the lathe anytime for re-sanding or re-finishing should you desire. But, I'm going to compare this one to the new model. May go ahead and wait anyway for more power and some other advantages I am already thinking of.
    Doug Miller

Repentance Is The
    Prerequisite For
    Gods Forgiveness

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Miller View Post
    Like I said, I'm going to do a bit of investigating. I got some lessons from Terry Daniel on his VB a couple of years ago. He showed how he could rough a bowl while talking to the group there in under 10 minutes. As a part of that he turned a recess in the bottom while the piece was on the face plate. With this method, the recess and the surrounding band are finished to a nice foot and you never have to go back to it. In fact, you can return it to the lathe anytime for re-sanding or re-finishing should you desire. But, I'm going to compare this one to the new model. May go ahead and wait anyway for more power and some other advantages I am already thinking of.
    I can see that working with the VB, but the used Vega looked like it'd be hard to mount a chuck on. It had no threads on the spindle. (The new one does have a threaded spindle.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Adaptors are no problem. However, I just got off the Vega site. The specs on the new one are this:
    This lathe offers large capacity for bowls, platters and hollow forms in a compact, affordable package. Designed for quick and easy speed change, the 1HP industrial duty Baldor motor offers plenty of power for larger turnings.

* 24" Swing
    * 13" Center to Center
    * 1HP 115 Motor with Reversing
    * 8 Speeds (200-2900 RPM)
    * 1 1/4 x 8 Spindle #2MT
    * Removable Tailstock #2MT
    I think I'll keep saving my pennies. Only have half to go. Wedding season is upon us.
    Doug Miller

Repentance Is The
    Prerequisite For
    Gods Forgiveness

I think unusual is an understatement. 24" swing with only 1/2 horse motor. Just out of curiosity, no tailstock, no chuck, solid spindle, no vacuum, how to reverse turn a natural edge bowl? The only I can think of is using hot melt glue. I image it would be some work to remove afterward if the bowl is large.
    Gordon