Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ridgid Spindle/ Belt sander EB 4424

Ridgid Spindle/ Belt sander EB 4424

I have been saving birthday money and such for about 3 months and finally saved enough for the Ridgid Spindle/Belt Sander.

It was well packaged and easy to set up. I still need to do the fine tuning with the Wixey. I moved it off the bench and set it on the floor so I can finish another project. I need to make a permanent or semi permanent home for it. It really works well so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ridgid EB 4424 -1 (600 x 450).jpg   Ridgid EB 4424 -2 (600 x 450).jpg   Ridgid EB 4424 -3 (600 x 450).jpg  
    Rich (the Yooper)

"To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world."

"Common sense is not so common."

Rich,
    Be sure to use this with a shopvac for DC. Also once you have it set up and have a home for it you will use it on every project. You are going to find that this tool is some of the best money you have ever spent and the quality of your projects will improve.
    Dewey

Everything is better with inlay or marquetry!

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Nice sander. I've been looking at those to replace my Delta BOSS unit. The Delta is OK I just like the bigger surface of the belt sander. Also how long does it take to switch over to just the spindle?
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by Royall Clark View Post
    Nice sander. I've been looking at those to replace my Delta BOSS unit. The Delta is OK I just like the bigger surface of the belt sander. Also how long does it take to switch over to just the spindle?

Loosen one screw (no tools reqd) 10sec
    Take off spindle, spindle plate and ring and place into holder (attached to sander) 15 sec
    Set belt attachment into place 10sec
    Tighten screw (no tools reqd) 10 sec

Whole thing less than a minute easy.
    Dewey

Everything is better with inlay or marquetry!

Quote Originally Posted by Royall Clark View Post
    Royall,

These are nice units. Switchover takes a couple minutes, likely less than one if you're not as clumsy as I am...

I pretty much keep mine set up with the belt sander. One complaint: the storage for the spindles is in the front of the machine. Very convenient... but the spindles are very attractive to four year olds. I am therefore missing a few...

Thanks,

Bill

I pretty much keep mine set up with the belt sander. One complaint: the storage for the spindles is in the front of the machine. Very convenient... but the spindles are very attractive to four year olds. I am therefore missing a few...

Thanks,

Bill[/QUOTE]

Love mine also, use it all the time. Do set it up on its own stand for sure, with the spindles on the front, they can and do get knocked off easly. I keep mine on the floor because I have not made a stand yet, so every time I pick it up to use, all spindles ene up on the ground

Tom

Indianola, Ia about 12 miles south of Des Moines
    I love mine also. If you have a DC with 4" hose it works better than a shop vac. I turn the stop bracket for the belt sander straight back and tied the 4" hose of the DC to it. It gets a lot more of the dust that way.

Congrats, Rich. Let's see...so far you and I have matching bandsaws and spindle/belt senders. I guess it's too late for you to get a Ridgid tablesaw, so I'm guessing you'll be buying a Powermatic lathe next.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Bloem View Post
    I love mine also. If you have a DC with 4" hose it works better than a shop vac. I turn the stop bracket for the belt sander straight back and tied the 4" hose of the DC to it. It gets a lot more of the dust that way.
    I like that idea. I'll have to give it a try.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks. You all are right about the dust and hooking it up to the dust collector or shop vac.

I can't believe how smooth this thing runs.
    Rich (the Yooper)

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Congrats, Rich. Let's see...so far you and I have matching bandsaws and spindle/belt senders. I guess it's too late for you to get a Ridgid tablesaw, so I'm guessing you'll be buying a Powermatic lathe next.

I like that idea. I'll have to give it a try.
    I do already have a Grizzly 1023 table saw, but the lathe is still in the running. I dont have one yet, but the thought is there. At this point, I don't know when I would have the time, but .. it is a tool ... I dont have it yet ... the bug is starting.
    Rich (the Yooper)