Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Seven drawer dresser

Seven drawer dresser

All right guys, it was time I should start a dresser I started to design in September 2006.

I will not reveal the design yet, and those of you who know it please do not give me away

It is going to be made out of mongoy and hard maple, frame and panel construction.
    This are the first cuts to make the four main legs, as they are going to be aligned with the diagonals of the prism I needed to make these stop cuts at 45º on my band saw. Some of you may rememember me asking about the safest way of doing it.
    On these pics you can see how I had to tilt my table and put the fence on the right side so that I could use gravity to work on my favour.
    I had to cut all four legs on one side, then change the fence setting and cut the other four sides.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cal01.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	30351Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cal02.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	30352Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cal03.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	30353Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cal06.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	30354
    The stop cuts came out pretty well, and to be honest I was scared of messing the whole thing up and having to buy new wood.

Name:	cal11.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	30357

One funny thing happened when I was ripping those corners, on one of the pieces the waste warped upwards enormously. Things like this never happened to me before, I guess that the wood had some built in tension that made this happen.

Name:	cal10.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	30356
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cal09.jpg  
    Last edited by Toni Ciuraneta; 03-28-2009 at 09:05 PM.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

WOO HOO!! More, more!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Hey Rennie. You're too fast, you posted when I was editing the post, now you'll have to re-read it.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Hey Rennie. You're too fast, you posted when I was editing the post, now you'll have to re-read it.
    Yes, that is some warp! BTW - what is Mongoy?
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

BTW - what is Mongoy?[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing Rennie, kind of looks like zebra wood.
    Cool another project by Toni looking forward to whats to come

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Yes, that is some warp! BTW - what is Mongoy?
    To be honest Rennie I have no idea about its english name, I've just made a search and the botanical name is "Guibourtia ehie" it is rather hard and heavy and has some white deposits that have to be removed with hot water, you can see them smeared by the cutting on the left hand side of the third pics.
    Best regards,
    Toni

hey rennie di yu notice that spot on his bench in pic five wonder why he has a lighter piece of wood in that spot,, and that was definatly some tension in there toni... i have seen tha deposit kind of wood at jim niemi work place but i cant trember what he called it.. kinda looks like wenge to me but i am not quessin, jim will know looks good and here i thought yu were waiting of rthem blades to do some resawing and now your making pen blanks with it.. not good
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    hey rennie di yu notice that spot on his bench in pic five wonder why he has a lighter piece of wood in that spot,, and that was definatly some tension in there toni... i have seen tha deposit kind of wood at jim niemi work place but i cant trember what he called it.. kinda looks like wenge to me but i am not quessin, jim will know looks good and here i thought yu were waiting of rthem blades to do some resawing and now your making pen blanks with it.. not good
    Hi Larry.
    It is not Wenge, where I bought it there was some Wenge and it is darker, without lighter grain veins.

And no, I'm not making pen blanks, but fashion toothpics

And you know very well what that spot is on my bench, you noticed it first and now it is fixed.
    Best regards,
    Toni

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Hi Larry.
    It is not Wenge, where I bought it there was some Wenge and it is darker, without lighter grain veins.

And no, I'm not making pen blanks, but fashion toothpics

And you know very well what that spot is on my bench, you noticed it first and now it is fixed.
    oh now that you remind i vaguly remeber something awhile back on te bench story
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

O-boy, this is gonna be fun. Looking great so far Toni. Thanks for taking us along.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke