Seven drawer dresser

now give us some meat and tators we are starvin for more pics on this dresser toni!!!:D

You'll have to wait a bit Larry, it has about 80 pieces in total, let me count...

7 drawers at 6 pieces each = 42
7 runners at 4 pieces each = 28
4 legs = 4
6 stretchers = 6
3 panels = 3
1 top of 5 pieces =5
Total 88 See, I was short on my appraisal. and so far I have started only with the legs.

Give me some time please :(:(

Last edited:
This is going to be a fun one to watch for sure :thumb:

That wood sure looks like some Rosewood that I got a while back, even has the same white deposits on it:D

:lurk:

update, getting wood shaped

Well, It's been quite a noisy week, getting all the pieces for the runners to the right measures ( thanks to my jointer/thicknesser).
The long thin ones on the right ar for the sides of the runners and they have to be cut to length still.

calaixera01.jpg

I also made this 45º jig to be able to hand plane the saw marks on the legs,
it has revealed itself very, very useful and it will see more use when I start routing the slots for the panels and making the mortises for the runners.
calaixera02.jpgcalaixera03.jpgcalaixera04.jpg

Very nice so far Toni:thumb:. Imade ma a similar jig for applying glue to some edges of wood cut at a 45 degree angle so it wouldn't run off. That piece of mongoy in the jig sure has a nice shine to it. I can see a reflection on it:D.

Hmmm, I must have done some "STUPID" a couple of days ago, 'cause I now see that my Post isn't here.:huh::huh::dunno:

Anyhow..... I love that wood and it is sure going to stand out in that design. Looks like that jig really worked well and really shows in that end shot showing the 90* faces.:D: Looks like you've got that hand planing down Pat, Toni.:thumb:

Seven drawers dresser Update May-19-2009

It's been a while since I started this thread, so I thought is was time to post some more pics.
I made the mortises on the legs by routing a slot and then filling the spaces with pieces of the same wood, I chose to do it this way to make it faster rather that chiseling them all by hand. Some of the joints will need some rework but I think that it woud have been worse if I had it done chiseling.
cal01.jpgcal02.jpg
The thin slot to their side is to put the back panel that is going to be 0.15" ( 4mm) thick plywood with maple veneer on on side.
cal03.jpg
As my router couldn't reach the end of the piece, I had to chisel away the remaining 3 inches.
cal04.jpgcal05.jpg
I realised too late that it needn't reach the very end because there will be the top side frame. In fact it would have been enough if it reached only the white line. ( I drew it later for the sake of the pic and explanation) Luckily it is only on this one leg, on the others I made it right.

This is the top side frame that is going to have a slot matching this one to accept the mentioned back panel.
cal06.jpg
Here you can see five of eight drawer runners, they still need the side pieces that I will glue when I have them all done.
cal11.jpg
These are the book matched boards of hard maple that will make the side panels, they still need to have the side rabbets (or rebates?) made and the female side of the sliding dovetail on the back side that will hold them in place.
cal10.jpg

Comments, critics and sugestions welcome as always.

Update, starts to look like a web frame!

Well, I thought it was time to post some more pics and keep you updated of the evolution of my dresser.

I made all the runners, and the cross pieces that will hold the legs together and the side panels.
cx03.jpgcx04.jpg ( not bad for hand made tenon isn't it?)
Test fit and adjusted them, and figured out the gluing sequence and more important I wrote it down!
cx05.jpgcx06.jpgcx07.jpg
Now I have to redo the side panel that I spoiled with the sliding dovetail and dry fit it with the legs and everything.
cx08.jpgcx09.jpgcx10.jpg
Then I will go for the final shaping of the legs and gluing of the webframe.
After that: Drawer time!