Question on Granite tops

One big problem with granite is in a cold workshop, the cup of coffee you rest "just for a second" on top of your table saw, will be stone cold in about 30 seconds. :D

never, ever set a cup of coffee on a table saw:) its just not RIGHT:eek:

I hollered "don't you dare do that".

I don't mind cold coffee. I *do* mind rusty circles on my table top.

Wow Frank, way to poke at the hornets nest :rofl:

If granite behaves the way concrete does, then I don't think there would be any danger from freezing it wet unless there were pores in it that water could penetrate. I don't think a polished granite surface would have any problem with pores big enough to hold water.

I'd love to field test a granite-topped tablesaw or bandsaw for a year or so. I also like the idea of a granite jointer fence.

Apparently the wet, freezing conditions must not bother Granite or you would see cracking and splitting all over the world on many of the Large Commercial Buildings that have Granite Fascades (sp) on their exterior walls and some with Granite Cornerstones. :dunno::dunno:

That is interesting Drew, I too would have never thought of that :huh:

One thing that occurred to me, I wonder if you got the granite top wet somehow, if it froze, would it, or could it crack?

For me, while I like the whole "New Idea" thing, I'd stick to the tried and true cast iron. :dunno:

Yea Stu I don't know how much gas is generated by this and what levels are acceptable. It was just an interesting bit of info.

I wouldn't think that water would effect it unless there was a crack in it where water could seep in. Then i could see it freezing and breaking the granite top. Of course if you have water on your saw all I can say is you had better fix your roof. :eek:

What do you care about a granite top saw Stu? You have a new Saw Stop and i don't expect you will be changing that for awhile. Unless it isn't as good as it is made out to be? Ok have you subcum to your curiousity and tried it out yet?:eek: Inquiring minds want to know:D:D:D

Hey Drew, since you are talking of upgrading your TS, I cannot offer any comment on the aspect of the granite top but one thought that I would consider is the contractor version of Stu's saw. I mean the possibility of avoiding the loss of a digit or two is a very convincing proposition to me. That would put paid to the to granite or not to granite debate. I would think a Contractor Saw Stop is within the price of a Steel City 3hp saw or am I out to lunch?:rofl:

Hey Drew, since you are talking of upgrading your TS, I cannot offer any comment on the aspect of the granite top but one thought that I would consider is the contractor version of Stu's saw. I mean the possibility of avoiding the loss of a digit or two is a very convincing proposition to me. That would put paid to the to granite or not to granite debate. I would think a Contractor Saw Stop is within the price of a Steel City 3hp saw or am I out to lunch?:rofl:

I have been looking at cabinet saws as I have had a contractor saw for the past 16 yrs. I was looking at the powermatic 2000 more than the saw stop. I have had no problem with keeping my digets away from the blade so far and I am the only one using the saw. If I had multiple people with varying skill levels using the saw I would consider the saw stop. Not knocking the saw as it is a good machine but I find safety devices like that take away some of the fear factor that I prefer to have around machines ( if that makes any sence). Nothing can replace common sence around a machine in my opinion. Maybe I am just old school in my beliefs, but it has worked for years for me so far. Yes i know the argument "it only takes that one time" but isn't that what life is about? I mean growing up we didn't have all these safety devises that are around today and we seemed to make it through with minor bumps and scrapes. I never had bicycle helmets and i went over the bars more than once, but I learned it hurt and stopped doing it. Rope swings, riding with no seat belts, parents smoking in cars, eating dirt and all kids ate peanut butter and no one died. Sure some guys got hurt bad but that was all part of lifes lessons. Natural process of selection. Maybe I am getting too old and becoming more like the parents of our generation with my attitude. I am currently taking the old gym equipment ( climbing ropes, climbing bars...) out of school gyms as the insurance companies charge huge fees due to liability issues with these things. What type of kids are we raising these days? Errr sorry I got a little side tracked on this but what is next in the way of safety? " no one moves no one gets hurt" :rofl::rofl::rofl: