Competition entry

Our club;'s entry for this month was a goblet. As I have only recently joined I am a novice. (Looking at the work that others do I'd totally agree:eek:) Anyway. I made a really nice little goblet out of some fruit wood about a fortnight ago for the competition

9" tall, stem is 3.5 mm top is averaged 1 1/2" dia. I really liked this as it looked almost flower like and the base was offcentre as well which seemed to enhance it

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

and the blithering thing split on the base so I had to do another one

This one is 12" tall, 2" dia. top and the stem is 5mm. Chuffed to bits as I came first :D

Pete

"Chuffed" certainly is in order :thumb:

Too bad about the fruitwood one splitting, seems to be the fate of a lot of fruitwood, but the second one is certainly wonderful too!

Congrats on taking first place, Blue ribbon to you sir! :clap:

NOVIce?

If this is "NOVICE" work, I'm sellin' ALL my tools.

What appears to be offset turning. Thin walls. Great finishing! Good lookin' wood.

What else could you ask for (Except for the split).

Have you tried to make the split work (Like filling it with coffee grounds and CA glue?)

The second one is very nice, too.

Bruce

Those are really delicate, and as Bruce says, if this is novice work what will be veteran or experienced work??

Congratulations on both of them.:thumb::thumb:

I think because I do miniatures I have learnt to have a delicate touch which helps. I also have about 1/2 dozen goblets without stems that I have saved when they broke. Got some weird idea of using them to make some sort of sculptural thing with.

As far as the split is concerned in the first one. filling it would make it stand out as a filled in split so I am waiting to make sure it is going any further than I'll have a go at widening it a bit and burning it with a pyro machine to make it look natural edge. May work but without trying I'll never know.
Pete

Congrats! Both pieces look like winners, Pete. Sorry to see the first one moved on you...sounds like you have a good salvage plan in place. :thumb:

I was chuffed once, but I got an ointment that cleared it right up. :rofl:

Pete, the beauty of the coffee grounds and CA is that it really looks like a bark inclusion. If you don't care for the burned edges and what to give it a go I think you'll like the results. I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have about protochol.

Doug,
I have use coffee grounds once or twice before. I hadn't thought of it looking like bark inclusion but you are right. It might be worth having a go on a practice piece and seeing if it'll match up. I'll post a picture of the finished item when done whichever way I go

Pete

I had a go at the coffee grounds this afternoon. It looks good, especially as there were already some very similar looking lines in the bowl of the goblet. I'll post some pictures later. Thanks for the tip

Last edited: