Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Bench on the Back of the SawStop *Almost Done*

Building a Bench on the Back of the SawStop *Almost Done*

i want to add a bench to the back of the SawStop, I've got some wood and some ideas, here is the wood..........
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SN3D0242.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	30431 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SN3D0243.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	30432
    ........Three slabs of a wood they are calling "Aka Tamo" or Red Ash. I checked online and it's English name seems to be "Siberian Elm"

Each slab is 210cm long, 50cm wide and 3 cm thick (83" x 20" x 1 3/16") each slab cost me about $70, less than I could make them for, and they are all milled and sanded dead flat.

I think that two slabs cut down a bit will be good for the top of the bench.

I'm going to have to see how to attach the bench to the saw as well as few other things, like vice placement.

I'll make up some drawings when I get a minute.

Oh, I also picked up another roller stand, as I only had one, and I'll be needing two to rip these long slabs down to size.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 05-08-2009 at 12:45 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I like the looks of that. It will really make a nice looking bench.

Be careful though, if you start making the Dungeon look too Fancy, Vaughn will be sending you Carpet & Curtains.

Curtains..........

I don't have any windows.....

I COULD use a curtain around the lathe when I'm roughing out bowls

Carpet, not a chance, besides, I think Vaughn used up the last shag in existence....... or at least we can HOPE he did
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Each slab is 210cm long, 50cm wide and 3 cm thick (83" x 20" x 1 3/16") ...
    I think that two slabs cut down a bit will be good for the top of the bench.
    two slabs laminated together to be thicker, or two side by side to be wider? I don't think you have the room for 40" behind the saw, but just checking...

So what is the third slab for then!

You mentioned "attach" also. So is all of this going to depend on the wheels of the SS? Of course not, but I'm curious as to how to make this mobile, how it would work in concert with the SS mobile base.

Do you have a vice waiting, or is that on the shopping list also?
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

RRRR

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    two slabs laminated together to be thicker, or two side by side to be wider? I don't think you have the room for 40" behind the saw, but just checking...
    two slabs laminated together, that will give me 6cm thick (2 3/8") thick, which I think is a fairly substantial top

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder
    So what is the third slab for then!
    Aprons, legs etc.

You mentioned "attach" also. So is all of this going to depend on the wheels of the SS? Of course not, but I'm curious as to how to make this mobile, how it would work in concert with the SS mobile base.
    You guessed wrong, it will all depend on the mobile base, I want the back bench to be attached to the saw, with legs in key corners etc, but all one large unit. The jack on the SawStop mobile base is rated to 1 ton, so it can easily pick up the saw, the extension table, and the back bench. I also think that due to the way the back bench will wrap around the back and left side of the saw, it should be fairly well balanced, but I guess we shall see, I could be all wet on that

Do you have a vice waiting, or is that on the shopping list also?
    I have the large Record quick release vice, I had on the old work table, but I plan on building or buying another vice, I'm even thinking of building a leg vice into the bench

Name:	sawsrop_su1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	30437
    Here is my first little SU drawing, this is the SawStop fairly well to scale, if really simple.

From here I'll build a bench in Sketch Up and let you guys tear it apart for me
    William Arthur Ward

.............and adding a bit of color, you can see, I hope, my basic idea......

Name:	back_bench3.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	30440 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back_bench4.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	30441

............. missing legs and a lot of other things too, but that gets you the basic idea.

William Arthur Ward

Probably a good thing you're confined to the dungeon. You're kind of like a goldfish, growing to fit your environment. It's amazing at what you've been able to pack into that little space of yours. If you ever move, it'll take you 3 years just to empty out the shop.
    Kidding aside, the bench configuration looks very clever and practical. Nice idea. I'm guessing you'll be puting in some bench dog holes so you can use it for all your hand tool work? That'll be a sweet setup. If you plan on doing any hand jointery with chisels and malots, you might want to include a drop down leg that sits on the floor and swings up out of the way when you need to move the saw/bench around. That way, when you're beating on whatever piece of wood you have at the time, the blows transfer to the floor, not your new saw base. That's the only thing i can think of that i might add.
    paulh
    Last edited by Paul Hubbman; 03-30-2009 at 03:31 PM.

I live in Denton, Texas and ranched at Schulenburg, Texas.

i THINK YOU ARE------

right on the mark. I am so envious of ur progress. During the 1930's millions of siberian elms were panted in our middlewest as windbreaks with various othe trees. Often call erroriously CHINEESE ELM.

Stu I vicariously enjoy your reports

Ray Gerdes

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hubbman View Post
    Probably a good thing you're confined to the dungeon. You're kind of like a goldfish, growing to fit your environment.
    Stu, I think Paul has got you pegged. I don't know why I didn't see that sooner! I am trying to imagine what you would do with a shop the size of Marty's.

Stu

If your going to build any drawer system under that bench consider making it so the very top is an open topped drawer that you pull out.This will be real handy for plans & to clear the top of the bench when you need to make the one cut or rip that you forgot to make before you started using the off-feed table for a bench. DAMHINT I wish mine was this way every time. Also make the cabinet in sections that screw together. I don't need to tell you the why of this we both have small shops. 2 small sections screwed together with drawers or shelves with the outside ends 3" - 4" taller then the actual case will make a place to fasten glides for the top drawer for plans & miscellaneous items as you clear the bench top to saw.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart