Hello from Canada's capital

Chris Inch

Hi everyone. Just thought I'd introduce myself. I've been reading the forums for a few months now, and just made my first post today, so I thought it was time to head over here and say hello.

I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada and I've gotten into woodworking, specifically turning, over the last 6 months or so. I have a Delta Midi lathe and I've turned mostly pens up until a couple weeks ago when I tried my hand at some bowls. I have a pretty small workshop in my basement and don't have many tools, but I'm hoping to expand my workshop a bit over the next few years.

I work professionally a software developer, and I also do quite a bit of photography on the side. Other interests include music, design and martial arts.

Anyway, just saying hello.

Hey everyone and thanks for the warm welcome.

Ned, I don't curl. I've tried it a few times though. A long time ago I got cut from the curling team in highschool for skipping practice. Haha.

Welcome to the family Chris, I see that nobody told you our motto yet.

It is " no pics, didn't happen"

BTW. Check out with Stu, he's on aikido with his daugthers.

Are you a digital or analogue photographer? I do analogue large format, with an Agfa-Ansco 8x10, surplus aerial film cut to size, and a bathroom for a darkroom :).
John

Hmm.. Ok. Here's a couple photos of a recent pen. The wood is Macassar Ebony. I'll be posting more photos of stuff I do in the future.

John, we're practically next-door neighbours. I have a few friends that live in Stittsville. I primarily shoot digital, but I also love working in the darkroom. I haven't shot film in a couple years, but I still have an old enlarger that I hope to set up again one day. The biggest I've ever gone is medium format. 8x10 sounds amazing!

Attachments

• 3245475893_2b8d138f9b_b.jpg
    3245475893_2b8d138f9b_b.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 15
  • 3246325130_25e046fbe3_b.jpg
    3246325130_25e046fbe3_b.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 19
Welcome to the Family Chris! :wave:

Hey, another Canuck, AND a turner to boot :thumb:

What martial art do you do?

As Toni said, I've started doing Aikido again, it has been a 15 year lay off while I was busy with lots of stuff. Aikido is the reason I came to Japan 19 years ago.

Great looking pen too! :thumb:

Welcome to the Family Chris! :wave:

Hey, another Canuck, AND a turner to boot :thumb:

What martial art do you do?

As Toni said, I've started doing Aikido again, it has been a 15 year lay off while I was busy with lots of stuff. Aikido is the reason I came to Japan 19 years ago.

Great looking pen too! :thumb:

That sounds like some serious commitment! I have been doing wushu for about 2.5 years and recently started sanshou as well. Most people have never heard of these. They're both Chinese martial arts. Stuff that they practice in/around the Shaolin temple.

Hmm.. Ok. Here's a couple photos of a recent pen. The wood is Macassar Ebony. I'll be posting more photos of stuff I do in the future.

John, we're practically next-door neighbours. I have a few friends that live in Stittsville. I primarily shoot digital, but I also love working in the darkroom. I haven't shot film in a couple years, but I still have an old enlarger that I hope to set up again one day. The biggest I've ever gone is medium format. 8x10 sounds amazing!

Chris that is a great looking pen! You staged it beautifully and the lighting is perfect.