Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Started moving in...

Started moving in...

... a little at a time.* Trying to get the small stuff out of the old shop* so I can get the big things out without tripping over it.* So here is the beginning of my new small (18x21), crooked, and humble shop.* Some of the things aren't where they'll end up, but just sitting there for now.* Dust collector is where it will be.* The compressor will be in the corner where the ladder is by the electric panel.* Edge sander will stay on that long wall, but probably more toward the middle.* I've just about decided to sit the table saw right in the middle, or at least far enough off the right wall (the wall with the edge sander) that I can walk by it comfortably.* I have a JET 18" bandsaw that's currently wired 115v, so it can go anywhere.* Jointer is also wired 115v and I haven't decided on that yet.* Powermatic mortiser will probably go on the long wall with the edge sander.* JET 1442 lathe I think will go on the short wall by the door, opposite the tall wall cabinet.* I have short cabinets to go above over that.* Table with the planer is now wheeled, as will be the table with the 16/32 sander.* I'll 'park' them somewhere when not in use, but I'm not sure where.* I really need the tablesaw sitting in place to finalize things.* I know a lot of folks have less space than this, but I'm cutting back quite a bit from the old shop (roughly half).* Anyhoo... it is what it as, and next Saturday the electrician will make me hot.*

Last edited by Kirk Constable; 04-01-2009 at 06:45 AM. Reason: just because

What a wonderful and exciting time; populating a new space. Where are your wall cleats? Now that Ive gone that route I can't imagine going back to a fixed system.

I am sure jealous of your wood rack. I need a step ladder to get to all but the bottom row on mine ;-) The only place I had to go, was up!

Why is it we all love shop tours and moves so much!?! Thanks for taking us along on the journey.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-31-2009 at 08:18 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Sweet!!!!!! Looks like you are getting things in order. Not to big, not to little, and insulated. The perfect getaway. Like the orange
    Trash day and I remembered. It doesn't get any better than that!

Looking great, and such possibility
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    What a wonderful and exciting time; populating a new space. Where are your wall cleats? Now that Ive gone that route I can't imagine going back to a fixed system.
    If you're talking about where the wood is, those are just the heavy shelf standards and brackets from the BORG. I have a 2x4 running the perimeter of the building midway between the steel uprights... then 2x4 'on face' every 24" from floor to ceiling. I used sheetrock for the walls because I'm cheap, and I don't like the look of painted OSB (which woulda been about the same cost).

You're making Good Progress. Is that a table base Frame you've got going there, (the Mesquite one)? Looks like you've got a few chair back pieces cut also, (the curved pieces on the wood rack)??? Hope I can get healthy enough to get back on mine soon. Been shut down for 6 weeks now.

Looking good, Kirk. Always nice to start with a clean slate and get things set up in a new configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Constable View Post
    If you're talking about where the wood is, those are just the heavy shelf standards and brackets from the BORG...
    I think he's referring to French cleats. They can be used to hang everything from cabinets to shelves and tool racks, and things are easy to rearrange down the road. Maybe Glenn has some pics of them in action. Here's a video showing the general idea, although in a shop some guys run a cleat along one or more lengths of wall, so they can move cabinets and other things to different locations on the wall as their needs change.

http://www.askthebuilder.com/French_Cleat_Video.shtml
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

looks good kirk,, even got a partially constructed project in there already i havnt got the french cleats yet, but have them on my to do list.. they are a good way to change things and yet still have a strong support for them anywhere on the wall.. looks like its goon be nice and bright in there as well
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Hitt View Post
    Is that a table base Frame you've got going there, (the Mesquite one)? Looks like you've got a few chair back pieces cut also, (the curved pieces on the wood rack)??? ..
    Table base is cherry. I started that immediately after the 2005 Mesquite Festival. What you see in the pic is exactly how it looked in early November 2005.

I just can't bring myself to throw out those curved scraps. I have a couple ideas for them... just need to make time.

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Great looking shop!
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.