Lacquer brush or spray

Bill McQueen

Can brushing lacquer be sprayed and if not why not. I looked thru the older posts and didn't find anything maybe I missed it.

Thanks Bill

I've not tried it, but it's my understanding it can be sprayed if it's thinned to a viscosity your gun can handle. I believe it's a bit too thick to spray very well straight from the can.

Ya,
I have a 4.1 nozzle in my gun, so thinned I can get it to shoot. I was just wondering if the brush lacquer had a different leveling agent in it than the spray type. Or it seems they would just say "Lacquer" instead of calling it going to trouble of specifying brushing lacquer?

This doesn't seem to be an easy answer because I've talked to Sherwin William and few others and they don't have a clue. I my just have to experiment with some scrap wood and then I'll be the smart one. :dunno:

Thanks Bill

It will spray just fine Bill:thumb:. All you have to do is experiment with how much to thin it and it shoots just like regular old lacquer. I've used it on my last 4 projects without a problem:thumb:. Just start with about a 1/3 cup of thinner to 2/3 cup of lacquer and adjust accordingly from there:).

i too have sprayed it after thinning, several gallons, no trouble at all.. but it doesnt brush for beans in my book i tried it and before i got a gun and it wasnt purty:rolleyes: so i spray it now and anything else:D

The "brushing lacquer" has a slower evaporating solvent(retarder added) that is the difference,by thinning the retarder is diluted to the point of acting like regular lacquer.

Regards
Jerry

Good enough for me friends, I have run it by paint stores and all I get is double talk, they give this long speal then say "I think". Ya great I feel informed now!

Guess I'll run it by my granddaughter, she thinks a lot too!

I'm going to give a try, you have built up my confidence. I've painted a lot of cars with Lacquer. but they outlawed it, then all the cans said brush only on them.

I'm on a fixed income like I said and I have to watch my peso's, I can't do much experimenting that's why I turned to you guys and you came through for me thanks again.

Bill :D

Bill, you got some good advice. I agree with Jerry about the retarder in the "brushing" lacquer. Adding thinner should counteract that if you use a fairly fast thinner, so it flashes off quickly. Unless you would be spraying in high humidity, then you might need to use a slower thinner, to help avoid "blushing". (white clouding of the lacquer finish as it sets up) Usially what we did to try to control blush was to add "retarder". Have you had any problems like that with high humidity Royall?

I sparyed lots of old nitrocellulose lacquers in my days as a car painter (loved that stuff), and then the acrylics came along. I have been going to try clear acrylic lacquer on wood, but never have yet. I have some Sherwin-Williams "Sherwood" Cab acrylic clear gloss. Is what you have Bill, anything like that?

Aloha, Tony

BUnless you would be spraying in high humidity, then you might need to use a slower thinner, to help avoid "blushing". (white clouding of the lacquer finish as it sets up) Usially what we did to try to control blush was to add "retarder". Have you had any problems like that with high humidity Royall?
Aloha, Tony

I've haven't had any problems with my lacquer blushing here. I've even sprayed some when it was raining and it turned out fine. Takes a long time to set up though. I've been using Deft brush on lacquer and one other but can't think of the name right now. Like I posted earlier, I run gravity fed HVLP with 2/3 lacquer to 1/3 thinner. The only problems I've ever had has been once in a while I'll get some little bubbles, but I think that is caused by laying down another coat before the last one dried completely. I just sand them out and spray.

I've haven't had any problems with my lacquer blushing here. I've even sprayed some when it was raining and it turned out fine. Takes a long time to set up though. I've been using Deft brush on lacquer and one other but can't think of the name right now. Like I posted earlier, I run gravity fed HVLP with 2/3 lacquer to 1/3 thinner. The only problems I've ever had has been once in a while I'll get some little bubbles, but I think that is caused by laying down another coat before the last one dried completely. I just sand them out and spray.

if you are getting bubbles most of the time it is caused by a slight wind blowing over your finish and the suspension agent trying to come up as if dries and offgases but cant break the surface. if it does break you get lacquer pop and it looks like a little pothole.

if you are getting bubbles most of the time it is caused by a slight wind blowing over your finish and the suspension agent trying to come up as if dries and offgases but cant break the surface. if it does break you get lacquer pop and it looks like a little pothole.

That makes sense Doug. There is usually a breeze here and quite often down right windy. I'll watch what the weather is doing next time to see if that is what's causing the problem. Thanks for the tip!:D