A feature on our very own.....

Congrats Vaughn... I agree with your premise... we turn because we can...and it just plain fun to see what we can do. Wood turning is the one artistic endeavor I can do that actually looks like something when I'm done.

Let's think about ourselves for a minute. How far would each of us progress if we didn't have guys like Vaughn on this forum...or Bernie, or Ned, or Stu, Neill, Frank, Chuck, Dewey, Alfredo, Kerry, Hutch, the Bower family and all the people I left out? Myself, it's an honor to learn from these guys and I thank God in my prayers for everyone on here. I'd still be suckin' ditchwater real hard instead of mildly if not for you guys and what you post. We all excell from each other. There are other boards and forums that we all belong to. Keep it real and keep it here.

Grats Vaughn!! You earned it :clap::bow::clap::bow::thumb:

Congratulations Vaughn:thumb:. I really like the madrone burl turning with all the cracks in it. How would you go about turning something like that without it blowing up on you. :dunno:. Truly inspirational work:rolleyes:

Thanks for the kind words, all. It was a pleasant honor to be chosen. Apparently they couldn't find a good turner for the feature this month, so I'm the April Fool.
jester.gif

BTW Alan,that madrone burl piece was my fourth hollow form ever. I turned it when the wood was still green, and it had no cracks at all when I got done rough turning it. All the cracking happened during the drying process. I remounted it on the lathe and started the finish cuts on the inside, and indeed it blew up. After I glued it back together, I decided the inside could stay rough, and I finish turned the outside primarily with the ol' 80 grit gouge. Fortunately, with all the natural cracks, it's almost impossible to see where it broke and where it was repaired. ;)