Thread: Vista question

Vista question

Anyone know how to add the GIMP to the autoplay list for my camera card under Vista 64 home?

Or a website that has info on customizing autoplay lists?

Thanks!

I believe that you just need to set Gimp as the default program for file types on the card, might check under Control Panel>>Default Programs. Can associate the files with the program there.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Hey Mark you rattled my Brain and made me feel young again.

First I had to look up GIMP. So I get the GIMP definition and it says its software for image manipulation for GNU. Okay so what is GNU then I find its an operating system.

Boy I have spent a fair portion of my career in the tech world and it never ceases to amaze me how this sector thrives on making something complex for the sake of it with all these abreviations or acronyms.

Now after understanding or decoding your request I have to apologize and say sorry I cannot help you.
    cheers

Hi Mark,

I don't think you can make an application the default for a particular type of card, drive, etc. You can make it the default for a file type. I've only got XP in front of my now, my Vista is at home, but it should be as simple as right clicking on the file, going to Properties, and on the "General" tab there's a line for "Opens with". That tells you what the current default application is to open that type of file. There should be a button next to that labeled "Change". Clicking that should let you change what the default application is for that file type.

I'll double check these instructions on my Vista system at home tonight.

Hope this helps.

Hi Rob,

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Boy I have spent a fair portion of my career in the tech world and it never ceases to amaze me how this sector thrives on making something complex for the sake of it with all these abreviations or acronyms.
    It's a Linux thing. The gurus that write most of the popular software for Linux distributions are the good old fashioned propeller heads that like to come up with weird and strange names for things. GIMP stands for "GNU Image Manipulation Program". That raises the question, what does GNU mean? As strange as it sounds, GNU stands for "GNU is Not Unix".

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Rodecker View Post
    ...It's a Linux thing. The gurus that write most of the popular software for Linux distributions are the good old fashioned propeller heads that like to come up with weird and strange names for things. GIMP stands for "GNU Image Manipulation Program". That raises the question, what does GNU mean? As strange as it sounds, GNU stands for "GNU is Not Unix".
    And unfortunately, IMO that's why Linux and it's brethren will remain a somewhat fringe OS that's not fully embraced by the general public. It might be the best thing since sliced bread, but if it's not understood by the masses (or made easy to understand by the masses) it will always be at a disadvantage.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com