Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: table saw insert

table saw insert

Making the desk I'm showing on flat work I needed a new table saw insert for the cove cutter--also could use a new dado insert--there is a Japanese saying----when making the ax handle you hold the pattern in your hand-of course the meaning being that you cut out the replacement ax handle with an ax------
    same thing use an old insert ---this is the one that came with the saw-find a good piece of wood plane it to the right thickness--you could plane it thiner and use leveling screws-I like to just plane them to the right thickness--mark out the new insert --cut out-stay on the outside of the pencil line-

one of the many use of turners tape-(it's after four)--

stick the pattern to the cut-out----I like to put them in the vise-

use a straight bit with a bearing and a router table----

useing an old wood insert for the pattern

since there is a bearing on the bit you don't really need the fence--though useing it you can keep the piece from getting away---

I take a hand sander and slightly bevel the edge-wipe on oil wax mix--and it's ready to go-

alex
    Last edited by edward alexander; 04-02-2009 at 07:50 PM.

Good job Edward!

But... on your last pic what is that "potato" on your saw doing? or is it a cobblestone?
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

toni its a stone! and he has them on almost every tool he use's its a safty device..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    toni its a stone! and he has them on almost every tool he use's its a safty device..
    yeah - toni it's not a potato it's a stone--what good would a potato do?
    alex

Quote Originally Posted by edward alexander View Post
    yeah - toni it's not a potato it's a stone--what good would a potato do?
    alex

Um...ok, this has the potential to be really dumb, but I'm going ahead with it anyway (Drat the Torpedoes & full steam ahead & all like that)

So.....what does the stone do?

-Kevin in Indy
    "Heroic? He fell off his bloody Aeroplane!"

So Edward how many stone does that table-saw weigh?
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

I think I know what it is, It's a pushstone, it has the advantage over the push sticks that the saw blade can't bite on it, so it lasts for ever!!

and if there are some mails portruding on the wood it can be used to smash them down....
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    I think I know what it is, It's a pushstone, it has the advantage over the push sticks that the saw blade can't bite on it, so it lasts for ever!!

and if there are some mails protruding on the wood it can be used to smash them down....
    So Toni would that be as in going postal or knight's? in any case wouldn't that be a bit difficult? But then who knows what the powers of the stone may be.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

I think I'll just give up, Alex is using Fiddle Back Maple for table saw inserts

Nice tutorial Alex, and I VERY much like you taste in beer, minus the lime
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Interesting use of the stone as a push stick. I like using a hnway as a push stick, gives better service.