Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why is it?

why is it?

that we hear about the turners selling all there wares rather easily but the flat folk are either not gettin sales or arent talking about it.. we have quite a few of each in this forum and the turners are hands down the "most sold product" from the sounds?? what is the reason for that in your opinion?,, and what does the flat folk need to do to gain some of there good fortune?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

IKEA don't sell too much spinny stuff
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    what does the flat folk need to do to gain some of there good fortune?
    buy a lathe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    IKEA don't sell too much spinny stuff
    good one Stu
    -Ned

Maybe because it is easy to slap together a couple of slabs of wood and make "flat work", but it takes real talent to make something on the lathe?

It's Just turners like to gloat more. based no doubt, on a deep seated needed for approval steming from their childhood. . But seriously, I do both flat and round, but I get more excited when I sell a round thing cause I'm a relative newb to turning, whereas I've sold many, many flatwork pieces.

very few folks are going to spend more than a couple hundred bucks on wooden items in todays economy.
    a couple hundred bucks for a spun chunk of firewood leaves room for some profit.
    a couple hundred bucks for a flat piece that uses 50-75bf puts the craftsman in the hole.
    now the cuttingboard/nick-knack folks might be turning over some inventory but i don`t know.
    heck i've stepped down to being a "house carpenter" from building furniture just to put beans on the table.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

I think Stu and Tod have got it. It is easier for folks to pick out a Spinny, take it home and set on the shelf of a display case than it is to select that display case. Larger pieces generally need to "fit" with the overall household style (not that the Spinny doesn't need to "fit" as well).

A beautiful bowl can be selected by itself and be just the right touch while setting on an end table or an occasional table. The end table is not generally a "one-off" but is instead part of a set that goes hand in hand with the other end table, the coffee table, the bookshelves, blah, blah.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-03-2009 at 01:04 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    very few folks are going to spend more than a couple hundred bucks on wooden items in todays economy.
    a couple hundred bucks for a spun chunk of firewood leaves room for some profit.
    a couple hundred bucks for a flat piece that uses 50-75bf puts the craftsman in the hole.
    now the cuttingboard/nick-knack folks might be turning over some inventory but i don`t know.
    heck i've stepped down to being a "house carpenter" from building furniture just to put beans on the table.
    well at least yu and barry had some realist thoughts i knew i would probally get kicked in the behind from the enemy seeun as how i am defiantly on the other team its sad that its that way..because that can help to solidify the woodworking skill, if there were some relief for the flat folk as well.. i had looked the other day in a fabric craft store chain and thier little pine flat stuff was very cheap... they had a normal looking, if it were 50 yrs ago, onion crate. made and shot together with brads and painted for 12 dollars.. i dont think you could start the power for 12 dollars unless you had a order for several hundred...so are the flat folk doomed in the future?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Townend View Post
    Maybe because it is easy to slap together a couple of slabs of wood and make "flat work", but it takes real talent to make something on the lathe?

I think you are in real trubble now......

Glenn nailed it.

Wuz thet a pun?