Strip built kayak - strips?

I am not familiar with a rolling bevel? Any pictures to share. i am open to trying something new out that would work.

It just a fancy term for beveling the edge to fit the plank or strip in this case next to it. I use a hand plane and I can trim them pretty quickly. It a little hard for the first few but after a while I can do them them quicker than milling to edges on each strip. If you start on the bottom of the boat, by the time you get to the top you will be darn good at it.

The reason I was asking is there is not gap on these if done right. And when you sand them there isn't any unevenness in the edges that you can get with bead and cove if you sand a little deep.

No photos of beveling them but this is the finished project.

57.jpg

It just a fancy term for beveling the edge to fit the plank or strip in this case next to it. I use a hand plane and I can trim them pretty quickly. It a little hard for the first few but after a while I can do them them quicker than milling to edges on each strip. If you start on the bottom of the boat, by the time you get to the top you will be darn good at it.

The reason I was asking is there is not gap on these if done right. And when you sand them there isn't any unevenness in the edges that you can get with bead and cove if you sand a little deep.

No photos of beveling them but this is the finished project.

57.jpg

!!!! WOWZER !!!!

NO gaps ther

There are flaws in that deck but they are not obvious. It's just a matter of taking your time, when you get flustered just walk off. And your right. No store bought boat looks like a strip built boat!

101_4686tn.jpg_695.jpg

This is my first one, Wren, sitting on Goat Island last summer. It's actually a hybrid. Plywood hull and strip deck.

Jeff,

That is awesome.

I am a very patient person.

I am sure I will have flaws - I always do.

One thing I read somewhere - is that - nobody does perfect work - but the experienced worker learns how to get past his imperfections and make the project work.

Your work is very impressive - I have been following your progress and can only drool at the work you do. Very nice.

Leo, is there a particular plan you are building yours from? Just curious what it will look like.

Yeah - I am going to build the Guillemot "Great Auk". Several reasons for my choice.

Ease of build for a first timer
Just a tad up from a recreational kayak
It "is" a sea kayak

I am not able to work on it exclusively - as there are other things I need to do as well. Michelle, my daughter is due with our first grandchild in October, and I am planning on making a changing table/dresser for the baby. I also have the house projects ongoing. I think I will be installing a big bay window, front door and two new windows.

Soo - this is going to be a real slow moving project.

Ripping strips

Leo, you first started this thread asking whether to cut from flat sawn boards?

It all depends what you would like the finish surface grain figure to be? Cutting from a flat sawn board produces strips with the least amount of grain figure and is "usually" the cut for canoes.

Cutting from quarter sawn boards can produce some wild figure grain. Mixing the two types of boards can produce some interesting sanding challenges :)

Also, splicing strips to fill the 17' length is acceptable. Cut the strip vertical at a 45 degree, over a mold. The overlap joint will be vertical and often disappear if the strips are like grain.
Ed...

Unfortunately this project has been backburnered, for a little while.

I have a couple of more pressing projects that need to be done first.

My FIRST granddaughter is on her way - and Michelle, my daughter wants me to build a dresser changing table for her.

Before I do that I am fixing a wall and building a mantle.