I just finished cleaning up an old Type 4 Bedrock 607 I got from Jim Reed almost 2 years ago (talk about procrastination!).
Here are some before pictures:
I soaked all cast iron parts in Evaporust for 24 hours and then wire brushed them clean. The sole wasn't in bad shape so it got only a minor lapping, just to remove some scratches. The sides also were scratched, so they got the same treatment.
Some after pictures:
I honed a camber on the iron, tried it out on some cherry and was pretty pleased with the results. The only thing I'm probably going to change about this plane is the tote. It's pretty banged up and is chipped out at the base near the front screw. I think I'll end up making a new Tote and knob from walnut and ebonizing them so they look more "classic".
Thanks for viewing