Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My brain is broken

My brain is broken

Geez,

I do this so much - it drives me crazy.

I am standing someplace, like in the shop, and I think. I gotta go get something in the house.

So I head off to the house.

I completely forget what I headed off to do and end up doing something completely different.

When I get back to the shop - I did not do what I originally set out to do - and I start the same circle again.

I think my brain is broken.

Does this happen to anyone else?

its one of the 3 signs of advancing years. graying hair, memory loss, and i can't remember the third, ask larry, he might remember it...
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Voisine View Post
    I completely forget what I headed off to do and end up doing something completely different.
    I always say that I live in the "hereafter"; I walk into a room and forget what I'm here after.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I sometimes spend a large portion of my day wrapped up in this exact activity. Here's some news - it won't get any better as you get older.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Leo your brain isn't broken It's just a little short on one end but you can't remember which end.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    I sometimes spend a large portion of my day wrapped up in this exact activity. Here's some news - it won't get any better as you get older.
    Sadly, I've been doing this since I was a teenager in southern california... but at least then I had an excuse!

Now I do it all the time, unaided. Wonder if there's a connection...

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

Yeah - this is unaided? I think? Uhhh - what did I just get done doing. Oh yeah - I was trying to get bird food for the bird feeder.

Man - I was a teenager a very long time ago.

Now I gotta fo finish what I was working on - uh what was that?

In my job I have to quickly shift gears from one problem to another, usually from one technology to another. In order to troubleshoot the next item I have to get totally immersed in the problem and leave other issues behind. As such I've developed an extremely short attention span. Quite often I'll be doing one thing in the workshop then think of something else that needs to get done. If I'm not careful I'll stop doing what I'm doing and move on to the other thing and not get back to what I was originally doing for a very long time. I think that's one of the reason I really like woodworking. It forces me to keep my concentration on one thing for extended periods of time.

A helpful, relatviely harmless way to improve your short term memory is to verbalize. Talk to yourself and say exaCTLY WHY YOU ARE GOING INTO THE HOUSE. It might help, so even if other people think that you are going crazy, you'll have the satisfaction of at least keeping track of yourself.

Speaking of talking to yourself, it now seems to be acceptable because everyone has a cell phone. It wasn't to bad when they were talking to their hands, but it looks strange with those hands-free sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    its one of the 3 signs of advancing years. graying hair, memory loss, and i can't remember the third, ask larry, he might remember it...
    well i least saw those two pics just before they were deleted,, so i went and took two more..the third is forgetting what yu was tryun to remeber what you had forgot,, and doing all day

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Brubacher View Post
    A helpful, relatviely harmless way to improve your short term memory is to verbalize. Talk to yourself and say exaCTLY WHY YOU ARE GOING INTO THE HOUSE. It might help, so even if other people think that you are going crazy, you'll have the satisfaction of at least keeping track of yourself.

Speaking of talking to yourself, it now seems to be acceptable because everyone has a cell phone. It wasn't to bad when they were talking to their hands, but it looks strange with those hands-free sets.
    now there is an idea, but sometimes it doesnt work cuz i have ahard time comunioncating with others threw my finners so how am i too understand my jabeering any better? and i dont have the mechancal thing to use as cover up.. i still look at them talking to in the store thinkun they are talkin to me and i know why would they want to do that?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!