And you thought *your* project was cool?

Bill Lantry

Hey, folks,

So, I couldn't have told you what Minas Tirith is, but the pics are here:

http://matchstickmarvels.com/Comingin2009.htm

MT1815web.jpg

Looks like it might take a while!

Thanks,

Bill

WOWZERS! That does look like it took quite a while. I have some patience but I don't know if I'd have that much patience.

Minas Tirith is a city from the J.R.R. Tolkien "Lord of the Rings" stories.

"One ring to rule them all, one ring to bind them ..."

What a pack of lies! There are actually two such rings, both on my wife's finger. :rofl:

That is amazing! Looking just like the miniature "set" they used for the movies.

So, I couldn't have told you what Minas Tirith is, but the pics are here:

:eek:

Okay, that's awesome... But why does he have a Dust Collector ? (I see it in the background) You can cut matchsticks with an exacto knife after all, which doesn't produce much dust, not to mention the fact that if you turn on the DC it might just suck up all the matchsticks!

Can't fathom the amount of patience that this would require either.

Looks awesome though. Didn't see the trebuchets, did you?

I decided not to do model railroading - cause - what do you do with it once it is done?

Even more so - what do you do with that? :huh:

Uhh - yeah, nice - but cheeze. Now what? Built another one.

Give it out as a Christmas gift?

Lawn ornament?

Back in the 60s my granddad started making wall plaques and clock faces by gluing wooden matches to a piece of burlap-covered plywood. He'd blacken the heads on each match by lighting them one by one then blowing out the flame. After lighting a few boxes worth of matches, he would glue them into various patterns on the boards. Everyone seemed to like them, so it became his hobby for a while. While the fad lasted, he seemed to always be working on one or more of them.

One of our "family stories" is about the time he and my grandma were visiting relatives out of town, and the mailman didn't really know what to say when he happened upon my granddad, sitting on the front porch happily lighting one match after the next, blowing them out one by one and lining them up in neat little rows on a tray. :p

Back in the 60s my granddad started making wall plaques and clock faces by gluing wooden matches to a piece of burlap-covered plywood. He'd blacken the heads on each match by lighting them one by one then blowing out the flame. After lighting a few boxes worth of matches, he would glue them into various patterns on the boards. Everyone seemed to like them, so it became his hobby for a while. While the fad lasted, he seemed to always be working on one or more of them.

One of our "family stories" is about the time he and my grandma were visiting relatives out of town, and the mailman didn't really know what to say when he happened upon my granddad, sitting on the front porch happily lighting one match after the next, blowing them out one by one and lining them up in neat little rows on a tray. :p

now we know why you are so spinny vaughn your heridty is dizzy:)

"Now I sit by my window
And I watch the cars
I fear I'll do some damage
One fine day" :D

One thing for sure, Vaughn, your Grandfather's Hobby was sure a lot cheaper back then, (when wooden matches were only 5 cents for a "BIG" box, or a penny for a small box).:D I wonder how much this guy's "Material" cost was?:eek::D

This project spelt one word to me. Patience! with a capital P.

Actually I thought this guy was related to my neigbor. He has the same looks and name. I sent him the site and he was amazed by the guys hobby.