learned something today

It is a bad idea to shape the end of a spindle too close to the 90 degree mark with a skew. In fact, for me, I shouldn't do more than round off the curve at the end to about 45 degrees or so with a skew.

How many attempts to shape my handle end did it take me to learn this? Once? Nope. Twice? Nope. Surely, by the end of three attempts resulting in butchering a bit of my end I learned not to do this. Nope, I tried a fourth time, had the same result of the skew riding up onto the rest of my handle. :eek: :doh: Then I just cleaned up the mess and decided to take a break.

I've lost about 4" of handle length from my stupidity. I did compare one of my Harbor Freight chisel handles to what is left of the handle I am working on, and it looks like the one I am working on will be just about right, but won't leave any extra.

Oh well. Free wood, utility project, it'll still work, so cheap lesson.

yeah but he's a chemist there supposed to be real smart folk:huh: maybe the one in ny have differnt amounts of the commen sense stuff:rofl: if it didnt work once and it didnt work twice we northerns dont give third chances in any thing,, at least the ones i hang with:rofl: glad yu didnt loose part of you in the exercize mark.

The word "skew" has four letters. Coincidence? I think not. :rolleyes:

Mark, I've had similar "repeat lessons" on the lathe. ;)

yeah but he's a chemist there supposed to be real smart folk:huh: maybe the one in ny have differnt amounts of the commen sense stuff:rofl: if it didnt work once and it didnt work twice we northerns dont give third chances in any thing,, at least the ones i hang with:rofl: glad yu didnt loose part of you in the exercize mark.

Yeah, one of my friends likes to say:

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
And by the third time I just have to admit I like it.

It's snowing here today, so I'm gonna go with my brain was cold and sluggish, requiring four attempts to learn it ain't working. :rofl: