pulley question?

Whoa, hold on a sec.

According to my calculations, if Larry is running his saw with a 2.5" motor pulley to a 6.5" saw pulley, he should be at 2083 fpm.

Changing the saw pulley only to a 4.5" would get him to 3009 fpm.

Running a 3.75" motor pulley to a 4.25" saw pulley would put him at 4779 fpm.

Running a 3.75" motor pulley to a 6.5" saw pulley would get him to 3125 fpm.

Am I correct? I suggest Larry, that you change only the saw pulley, OR the motor pulley, not both. JMNSHO.

I would agree with you Royall, on one thing, taking the bandsaw off the same circuit as your lights, would stop them from dimming when you run the saw, Putting it on a 220 circuit might help, but your table saw is probably on a dedicated circuit alone, so it gets full power.

Aloha, Tony

boy i am gettin all the islanders awaken:thumb: ok i was gonna just change one tony and the motor is where i was gonna do it at.. as for power it hasnt dimmed the lights yet i have planty of power in the shop and alot of dedicated circuits..11@220 and 10@ 110 so power isnt a problem i dont htink but i was wanting to make sure i had the right motor to handle the increased pulley size.. isnt it like hooking a single horse up to the wagon with nothin on it or having it filled with hay? or isnt that how pulley changes work..?

An executive drove from home at an average speed of 30 mph to an airport where a helicopter was waiting. The executive boarded the helicopter and flew to the corporate offices at an average speed of 60 mph. The entire distance was 150 miles; the entire trip took three hours. Find the distance from the airport to the corporate offices.

[size=+1]120 miles

[/SIZE]
A car and a bus set out at 2 p.m. from the same point, headed in the same direction. The average speed of the car is 30 mph slower than twice the speed of the bus. In two hours, the car is 20 miles ahead of the bus. Find the rate of the car.

[size=+1]50 mph

[/SIZE]
A passenger train leaves the train depot 2 hours after a freight train left the same depot. The freight train is traveling 20 mph slower than the passenger train. Find the rate of each train, if the passenger train overtakes the freight train in three hours.

[size=+1]Freight train @ 30 mph; Passenger Train @ 50 mph.

[/SIZE]

Okay?

dont use it for rersawing at all, just curve work. so am i hurting myslef by changing the pulleys? i can cut 8/4 cherry as it is but did get some burning but thats common for cherry..have cut some 8/4 white oak as well, got some junky walnut coming up on the list soon.. so whats your opinion jim? leave it or change it?

I'd change it. The performance boost in thinner wood, from the faster blade speed, will be worth it.

I'm just Guessing, but knowing how long ago that saw was built and the fact that they only put a 1/3 hp motor on it, I'd bet that the pulleys that are on it are the ones that were put on it originally so that it would have enough torque with that small motor.:dunno:

It might turn out that you have to up the hp to 1/2 to get good performance from it with that much increase in fpm.:huh::dunno:

Last edited: