New tool gloat.... Fein Multimaster

John Pollman

Howdy all!

LOOOONG time no talk. Man I don't know why I've stayed away so long. I've gotta start participating more around here.

I went out yesterday and scored myself a new toy. I bought a Fein Multimaster Top kit. It's a bit pricey but I think it's going to make my life a lot easier. I do a lot of flooring (hardwood, laminate, and ceramic) and have been cutting door jambs manually with an undercut saw. It looks like this tool will be just the ticket for that job. Also it looks like a great tool for removing grout and thinset when doing ceramic tile repairs.

Business has been pretty slow lately but a few days ago my phone rang and it was a neighbor of mine. He asked if I could come down and replace a garbage disposal for him. I said sure, just pick up a new one and to give me a call when he had it. He called me the next morning and was all set to go. I grabbed my tool box and headed over. I got there and was just about ready to tear the old one out but noticed it didn't look that old. Well I grabbed an allen wrench and in about thirty seconds it was humming along nicely so I told him to take the $125 unit that he'd just bought back because he didn't really need it. He reached for his wallet and I told him to keep his money because I had only been there five minutes.

Well we started talking and to make a long story short, I picked up a TON of work! I'm installing a new door wall, pulling out paneling and installing drywall in a 15x19 family room. Removing carpet and installing a new engineered wood floor in that room as well as removing just under 500 square feet of carpet and refinishing the hardwood underneath in the living room and dining room on the main floor. This tool is going to make the jamb cutting as well as carpet removal much easier. I'll report on how it works once I've had a chance to use it. The job starts in the morning. It looks like it was WELL worth giving up that $40 I told him I'd do the disposal for. :D

It's good to be back!

Take care all

John

hey welcome back john!!!! and glad you got some work outa the guy for doing him right on the disposal change out ...your gonna like that multi master as much as you like your sawsall they work out in the strangest of places,, you just need to teach your self that you got some that can do it.. they get in tight on alot things and dont mess up the surrounding area.. great tool pricey yes but i think we can save some dollars now with the other companys coming out with a similar tool and there cutters look alot like, the blades are pricy..

Thanks Larry!

That's the thing that looks so nice about this tool. It can get into tight spaces and get the job done. I don't know how many times I've had to trim just a little bit off of something and had to remove the piece to get it done. With this thing I can just cut it right in place.

I've got about 480 square feet of carpet to remove and I saw one of these things on TV last weekend. It was an infomercial and the guy was very easily slicing through the carpet to make it easier to handle. That's how I do it but I usually use a double edge carpet knife which can be a wicked tool. They cut very well with a fresh blade but unfortunately the blades don't stay fresh for long. Then it gets very tough to deal with. As far as I'm concerned, a dull tool is a DANGEROUS tool! It looks like the convex carpet blade I picked up for the fine should do the job nicely. I can't wait to try it out.

John

Neat tool. I couldn't count the times I needed to make the cuts this tool can make. I got lmol interested in it now:thumb:. She just told me to print it out which is a good indication I will have it soon:thumb::thumb:.

I bought one a few years ago to help with the house renovation - removing old window glazing, undercutting jambs, grout / tile removal, stripping the gobs of paint on the woodwork, etc.

It's a great tool for many of the tasks, not so great on others. I do use it quite a bit, though both on the house and in the wood shop. My son started using it to sand when he was 4 - incredibly safe machine.

On the downside - the cost of the attachments. The carbide grout blade is especially spendy. And i use enough sandpaper to run up quite a tab on those as well.

On the upside - mine's the older style unit before the tooless tool changing. Well, it just so happens (no accident i'm sure) that the new Ryobi version attachments fit the older style Multimaster perfectly (expired patent???). They even attach easier since you don't have to fully remove the allen screw to slip them on and off. Oh, and they're quite a bit cheaper - and available at the local big box, which is a lot more convenient than running off to Rockler everytime i need to replace an attachment. So far, i've found that the bi-metal cutting blade and the scraping blade hold up as well as the Fein versions.

It works best when you don't lean into it - get the feel of it and just let it do it's thing.

Paul Hubbman

I'm impressed so far!

I'm home on a lunch break. I started that huge job I talked about in the original post in this thread. I got the piano movers there early this morning and got that and the china cabinet out of the way so I set to work ripping up the carpeting. This thing is the cats pajamas! I love it already. I spent $15 and bought a convex knife blade for it and this thing makes short work of cutting up carpet. I've always used a double sided carpet razor knife but the blades dull pretty fast and it's still a chore. With this Mulitmaster it's a piece of cake. I just slice the carpet into about 3' wide strips, roll it up and wrap it once with duct tape and it's ready to go out in the trash. Same with the pad.

I can't wait to see how well it works for cutting door jambs when it comes time to install the engineered flooring on the lower level.

Two thumbs up so far for this purchase folks. Yes it's pricey but a good quality tool is worth a few more bucks!

Take care

John