Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kind of a fun jig....

Kind of a fun jig....

Hi all!

My son is twelve years old and an avid skateboarder. He's been skating for about three years. He absolutely loves it! He also likes to "fingerboard". These are basically miniature skateboards that are roughly 1" wide by 4" long. They "ride" them with their fingers instead of their feet. It seems strange to me but he and his friends have a ball doing this. I've made him a bunch of ramps, rails, half pipes, etc. A while ago he graduated from store bought plastic boards to laminated wooden boards. He bought a couple and really liked them better than the plastic. He asked me if I could make him some wooden ones. Well it took some trial and error but I figured it out. I made a form and bought some veneer and got to work. After several attempts it started getting close. But the one trouble I had was making sure that both halves of the form were identical. Then I had an idea. I made up one side of the form out of wood and carved and shaped it. This was the convex side. Then I bought some casting resin and put a form around the top side of the form and poured it in. This would ensure an identical mirrored form for the bottom. It worked very well! I have several versions with different concave and head/tail sizes. I can just put whichever version I want to make in the jig and I'm ready to go.

We just cut four or five pieces of veneer to size and make sure to alternate the grain. We glue them up and place the pack in the form and clamp it down then let it sit to cure. While in the form, we trace the shape onto the blank with a pencil. When it's set up we remove it and trim the board to shape and sand then finish it. Drill the holes to mount the trucks and it's ready to go. I'll have to get some pictures of the boards up the they look REALLY COOL! But at least I've got a picture of the jig. Here it is...

I'll have to get some pictures up of the stair sets and the mini park that I built for him also.

John
    Last edited by John Pollman; 04-05-2009 at 11:24 PM.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Really cool John! I bet your son enjoys showing off his custom made boards too! Next you'll be doing special inlay work and going into a neighborhood business!! Just see the kids lining up around the block now
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Thanks!

We've made some pretty cool boards by combining different species of woods. We even dye some of the lighter species and alternate colored layers and when they're all cut and sanded, the colored bands show up really well and it looks very cool.

I just went to Woodcraft and bought a bag of miscellaneous veneers for about $24 I think and we've made a ton of boards and still have a lot of wood left for more.

But now he wants to make a FULL SIZE board.

That's gonna be a bit bigger challenge.

John
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Well that's one way to keeping kid off the streets or on the streets???

Be sure to post lots of photos! I've never heard of the small boards you're talking about.
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

enjoy them while yu can john!!! any time with them is priceless. just dont get to feeling to young and try it yourself remeber the slip on the snow where your shoulder took a hit for some time.. well you havnt got any younger even if you felel younger yu aint trust me
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Lee Valley sells a veneer "grab bag" for about $50. This might be of interest to you for this project.

Have fun, and remember to wear the proper PPE if he convinces you the make the speed trial!

Here are a couple pictures of some of the boards we've made without their running gear.

Here's one with its running gear installed

We made these a few months ago. Haven't made any in a while but he's sold a few to friends so we've got to get busy and restock.

John
    Last edited by John Pollman; 04-05-2009 at 09:52 PM.

John:

Are the trucks metal or wood? It looks like wood but if it's polished metal I could just be seeing the reflection of the underside of the deck.

That is a cool father/son project. Is he bringing the $ from the sales back into the enterprise?

Enjoy the time. My 10 year old son isn't into any shop work. He want to give me a design and want the finished project to appear. I'm working on meeting him in the middle. . .

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim,
    they're metal. The trucks in the picture are actually higher end gear that you can buy. There are web sites that sell these boards for $50 or more EACH for a complete board! They've even got ball bearing wheels. We've gotten him some of the better quality hardware and and it does make a difference. But you can buy Tech-Deck boards at your local toy stores and such and just use that hardware.

John

Those look really cool, John. You can use exotic woods and make them one of a kind pieces.

I don't fully understand the allure of fingerboarding, but on the other hand, I could back up and steer a Matchbook truck with a horse trailer like an old pro when I was about 8.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com