Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just got a deal on a table saw

Just got a deal on a table saw

Hi all,

Thought I would post a thread about a little table saw I just acquired through Craigslist. It's a Craftsman 113.27520, 10" contractor-type (external motor) bench saw. It's pretty complete with an original 3/4 hp Craftsman ball bearing motor, the original miter guide, the original fence, 2 cast iron grid type extensions and even a 6" Craftsman stacked dado set.

The machine was in pretty good shape for being about 60 years old. The seller told me it had been his Grandfather's, then passed on to his Father and then to him. He was happy to find out I was not going to fix and sell it but was going to use it. I was happy to get it because of it's size and that it had a 115v motor. I can't use my nice Unisaw because I don't have 220v in my workroom, (the place isn't mine and I can't make changes) I may dig out a 1 hp motor if I need.

The table has a coat of surface rust, but was protected by some kind of grease or heavy oil, as was most all of it. It has an original Craftsman universal stand under it (the same stand I had under my 12" Craftsman bandsaw that my daughter has now.)

I have begun cleaning and inspecting it and will post pictures as I go along. These first ones are the Craigslist photos. This should be a nice tool once it is done.

Oh, I almost forgot the "gloat" part. I got it for only $20.00. Yup, the seller said he needed ti get rid of it because of space problems and just wanted to get "something" for it. I promised him I would keep in touch and send pix of the saw as I finished it. (his wife sent me their e-mail address and said he was "thrilled to meet me and happy to know the saw will be taken care of")

It won't get done as quickly as Royall did his lathe, (again Royall, nice job on the lathe) but I think I will work on it steadily.

Aloha, Tony (who loves old machines)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20.00 saw 01.jpg   20.00 saw 02.jpg   20.00 saw 03.jpg   20.00 saw 04.jpg  
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

I have one of those stashed on top of one of my shop cabinets. It was grandpa's and will eventually become a sled-based crosscut station if my plans don't change. Your's, like mine, is a very nice C-man badged Emerson unit. There is one still in service at the University where I work; it peeks out from under a large wrap-around table in the cabinet shop. With a little TLC you can make that into a real worker. Congrats!
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

That's good Glenn.

Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention, these things are HEAVY.

The table top (center section only) is heavier than a Ryobi portable table saw, complete.

Lots of cast iron in these things.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

Registered voting member

congrats Tony!
    -Ned

Well done, Tony. Not only did you get a good little saw for a steal of a price, the previous owner(s) can be happy in the fact that it's still appreciated and being used.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    I can't get over the size of the motor. Sears would call that a 5 hp more now days Keep the photos coming Tony!
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Baideme View Post

Aloha, Tony
    No kidding. I was going to mention that you should look at the thickness of the table casting and compare it to some of today's saws. Remembering that this was sold as a consumer product with almost everything including the motor as an optional item it is a pretty impressive little guy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GpaSaw.jpg  
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-06-2009 at 06:56 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

That is true Glenn. Yours is much nicer than mine, but wait. Here are a few more pictures of it as I am taking it apart, before cleaning.

Here's a closer look at that motor Royall. I hope you can read the info on the plate.

Yes Vaughn, and I hope I don't disappoint him either.

Aloha, Tony

Registered voting member

Hey, what did I forget??? Sorry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20.00 saw 06 (600 x 450).jpg   20.00 saw 08 (600 x 450).jpg   20.00 saw 13 (600 x 450).jpg   20.00 saw 14 (600 x 450).jpg  

Registered voting member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Baideme View Post
    That's good Glenn.

Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention, these things are HEAVY.

The table top (center section only) is heavier than a Ryobi portable table saw, complete.

Aloha, Tony
    Nice score Tony! I wish I could come across deals like that. They had to make the saw that heavy. If they didn't it would tip over with the size of that motor hanging of the back.