cutting molding

ken lutes

Need your expert advice. What brand and type of blade would you all recommend to use on a chop saw to cut wood frame molding? Thanks in advance.

I just finished up trimming out a great room, dining room, and hallway for a customer last week. I did a three piece built up molding with a 1x6 for the base, a 1/2" cove for the shoe, and a 1-1/4" base cap for the top. I sanded, stained, and put three good coats of Minwax Polycrilic on all of the trim before I started.

I used a Dewalt 80T fine finish blade on my my 12" Dewalt double bevel compound miter saw. (One SWEET tool ;)) Not a chip in site and it worked great. I was careful to always cut from the finished side and it worked fine. On one cut even being careful I did get a tiny bit of tear out if I cut from the back side but after that I was careful as to which way I cut and it worked very well. It left a SUPER smooth clean cut in the #2 or better pine I was using.

John

john, red is faster than yellow:) but yellow makes a good blade too:)

Yeah,
I've got a nice Freud that I bought a few years ago and it's still going strong. Although it is ready for a trip to the sharpener. ;) It's only a 7-1/4" but it's the one designed to cut laminate flooring. I've installed a ton of flooring with that thing and it really works well. It's going to be worth sharpening though because it cost about $80 new.

John

Last edited:
i use full kerfed ammana blades...for general use on a sliding mitersaw i like the 80t non-ferrous metal blades.

Wow!! 80 bucks for a 7 1/4" blade!!??? Sounds like you've gotten your money back out of it!:thumb:

Laminate flooring just eats up blades! Even good quality carbide tipped blades. The aluminum oxide that they use in the wear layer of the laminate just chews up blades. I found this out the hard and expensive way. I found this Freud which is a 54t blade with a triple chip grind. It holds up very well to the laminate flooring. I bought it when I started a 2000 square foot laminate installation job. I ruined a brand new carbide blade in short order. Then I discovered this Freud blade and it's been well worth the money. I finished that particular job and have done at least three other decent sized installations since.

John