A Thankful Outcome

Thanks for the support guys.

Got the news today that they will have to write the car off due to to the total amount of visible damage. They didn't even look at the damage to the suspension, frame and drivetrain!

I am not looking forward to this as all I have ever heard is that if your car was in good condition you never get back what it was worth. Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Cheers,

they will have to write the car off
I am not looking forward to this as all I have ever heard is that if your car was in good condition you never get back what it was worth.

I've never had to deal with insurance, but Dan as I look at your car, I'd personally be relieved that it was written off. That looked like some major damage, and I'd be worried that it would never be the same again if they tried to fix it.

I figure I want to end up at the same point I was before.

I had a car I bought new, never had an accident, well maintained, no rust and the confidence that we had taken care of it for the longest service lifetime possible. And it was paid off.

Grrrrr... I just don't trust people when it comes to cars. The majority of major car business seems to have nothing but people looking to put the screw on you.

Dan,
Great news that everyone involved was OK.
If there ever was a good time to buy a new car, I think it would be around about now.:rolleyes: I would agree with what others have said. Good thing it was totaled. The hidden damage and subsequent headaches would be a long term pain. DAMHIKT:(

Good luck,
Wes

Dan, I'm glad everyone is OK. It makes you realize just how fragile life really is doesn't it. I had a similar experience except for the hit. When my daughter was about 2 I was on my way to work one morning and on the way I had to drop her off at the sitters. I was stopped turning left on a two lane highway. I heard something behind me and looked in the rear view mirror and all I saw was the grill of a mac. He swerved to the right and the front tire came to a stop right next to the passenger side door. I looked back and my daughter was asleep in her car seat. I said several prayers that day. She's 12 now and still every time I turn at that spot I think about that day. He came to a stop in a driveway. If it had happened 5 minutes latter usually 4 or 5 kids would have been standing waiting on the school bus.

Just this morning on the same highway a Nissan frontier hit a school bus head on going between 50 and 60 mph. The driver of the truck was killed. No one on the bus was seriously injured. Thank God they design buses the way they do.

Believe it or not spent a half hour talking to the police today about another accident!

Driving to our bowling league last night (in the rental van) there was an accident mop up on the side of the street. Just as we were coming up to it the truck next to me clipped the mirror of the police SUV!

And kept on driving...

We ended up driving next to her for about a mile, got all the info and called it in to the local PD. Had to stop bowling for a half hour as I gave all the info I had to police officer when he showed up soon after. I felt a little sorry for the lady that was running because I'm sure she had a reason that was important to her, she was definitely scared, but hell this is the same person that runs after hitting a kid in the sidewalk. She'll get what she's earned.

Geez, what's up for the rest of the week?

But bowling was pretty good 214, 168, 204. Yeah tanked in the second while getting interviewed.

Cheers,

Dan:

I'm glad everyone came through that experience unharmed.

A split second can be a long time, can't it?

About 10 years ago I was driving through a neighborhood with a young kid driving behind me in an agressive manner. As I was slowing for a STOP sign the kid guns past me ON THE RIGHT and T-Bones a sedan in the middle of the intersection.

I was sitting at the stop sign FREAKED OUT. My mind was going 1,000 MPH - Wasn't there a STOP SIGN? Did I not need to stop and actually cause the accident? Oh - there is a STOP sign - What was that kid thinking? . . . The kid was unhurt (of course) and the driver of the sedan had a broken leg/hip.

I hung around a gave the information to the police. Later on I filled out an affidavit for an investigator for the insurance company of the sedans driver. Apparantly the police report was a little "vague" on the cause of the accident and my details made things a little clearer. Never heard from them again.

Still freaks me out how quick it happened.

Good luck with the insurance claim on your totalled vehicle.

Cheers

Jim

No offense Dan, but I'm glad I'm 2500 miles from you!!:D:rofl::rofl: One thing that comes to mind right now..... My grandmother always said "everything comes in threes!" I hope for your sake it doesn't go that way for you.:eek::D

Royall - Come on out to California now. I had my third incident. Managed to get a ticket when I misread a tangle of signs at Los Angeles airport. Whew, glad that's behind me now. LOL

On the plus side I might be able to get out of the infraction because the police officer managed to misspell my first and last name on the ticket!

Happy Easter

On the plus side I might be able to get out of the infraction because the police officer managed to misspell my first and last name on the ticket!

Happy Easter

How do you mispell D A N?? :rofl::rofl:
And I would think that with as many hispanic surnames as there are in the LAX area, he would know how to spell your last name too..... :D:D:D:rofl::rofl:

When I was a kid in Texas, I remember reading a story in the next town over where a teen was stopped doing about 120 through town in a soupped up muscle car.. Ford or Mercury ... it was mostly stock with some headers and such to soup it up... the officer wrote "hot rod" on the ticket.... The kid took the judge to the curb and showed him the car with it's model emblems on the side, stock interior etc.... he beat the ticket.
It was warranted and he deserved it, but a little technical error got him out of it.:(

In your case, I've been through the LAX airport... matter of fact, worked there for about 18-20 months... I know about the jumble of signs you have to read while trying to avoid either hitting somebody or trying to stay out of the way of everybody else... I will sympathize with you there.

Last edited:
How do you mispell D A N?? :rofl::rofl:
And I would think that with as many hispanic surnames as there are in the LAX area, he would know how to spell your last name too..... :D:D:D:rofl::rofl:

Had the same thought go through my mind too:rofl: With the accident you just went through I'd fight it. Even though the accident wasn't your fault, it will be a mark that may or may not pose any concern. Years ago one of the big insurance companies was dropping some of the older people with clean records and the only reason they gave is "we feel you are over due for an accident":eek::huh::dunno:

I don't remember if they got reprimanded for the stupid stunt or not but it was way wrong!:(