Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wood covered surf board

wood covered surf board

While in Hawaii, we saw a beautiful surfboard made from wood strips covering it. My daughter-in-law asked if I could make one like that. I said "no".
    While I have no intention of trying, just thinking about the project has proven challenging. I know the inside is hard foam. Laying and fastening the strips would be challenging. They couldn't have spaces in between and must conform precisely to the shape of the foam. Plus, the strips would have to be quite thin to keep weight down. The one we saw used beautiful woods and was equally beautifully finished. Enney ideas on how this might have been done? Sorry, I didn't take a picture.

Maybe the foam core has wooden bulkheads that can be used to fasten the outside strips.

Last edited by Frank Townend; 04-07-2009 at 03:55 PM.

(The other) Frank beat me to it. I don't thing they are foam cores. I don't see how you would attach the wood to foam.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    (The other) Frank beat me to it.

Looks like I need to change my signature!

I'm with you Jeff, for fiberglass it sticks to anything, wood needs attachment. I found it interesting on one of the articles he talked about the pressure differential between the inside and outside of the board. I would not of thought of that and my board would have blown up when I hit the waves.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    (The other) Frank beat me to it. I don't thing they are foam cores. I don't see how you would attach the wood to foam.
    I agree. Attaching wood to foam would be difficult, I believe. (no experience there, cain't say fer certain, fer sure)
    Frank T's first link seems the logical way to do something like this. Downsides are that it would be heavy to carry and if it leaked would fill with water. That is why I, pretty much, presumed that the wood was laid around foam. We saw several shops that had foam cores all over the place waiting to be made into boards with some kinda skin outer.

Perhaps it was a hollow wooden board, filled up with expanding foam after it was made.

BTW, the original boards - about twelve feet long - were just that - boards. A single piece of wood that had to be that big to have enough flotation ability to keep the rider afloat. Balsa and other very light woods were also used.

Later, they were hollow cores - sorta like a totally skinned over kayak. Think of them as streamlined torsion boxes.

The advent of the foam forms really revolutionized the sport.

There used to be (probably still is) a surfing museum on Oahu that had examples of the board 'evolution' from early native planks thru the modern stuff. It also had a really good tribute display to Duke Kamehameha - one of the early 'greats' of the sport.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Sounds like something that needs to be subimtted to "How it's Made". That's a pretty cool show.

kc

Not wanting to sound esceptic, but are you completely sure it was wood stripes on top of foam? I'm asking because nowadays they use a lot of serigraphied ( I think is spelled that way) paper or plastic that mimics exactly wood grain even the rugosity.
    You can see it on artificial flooring and on cars.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Not wanting to sound esceptic, but are you completely sure it was wood stripes on top of foam? I'm asking because nowadays they use a lot of serigraphied ( I think is spelled that way) paper or plastic that mimics exactly wood grain even the rugosity.
    You can see it on artificial flooring and on cars.
    It was wood. On top of what, I don't know. It was very attractive and expertly done, however it was made.